Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2006, 04:12 PM

Default Re: *** Official Steelers/Colts Thread ***

Just for the record, TheNoodleMan & myself have an avatar bet riding on the game. The loser has to use an avatar of the winning team until that team either gets knocked out of the playoffs or until the Pro Bowl.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:14 PM

Default Re: *** Official Steelers vs Colts Thread ***

Iggy and I have decided to spice this up with an avitar bet.
Loser sports a team themed icon of the winners choice until the winning team is knocked out of the playoffs, or until the probowl if they win the SB.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:18 PM

From the other thread, here's my plan.

[ QUOTE ]
Late in the Bengals game the Steelers showed some defensive formations with only 1 or 2 defensive linemen. Very similar to what the Pats did to the Colts in last year's playoffs.

I am hoping that they just come out like this, play 9 man zones, mix in some weird blitzes, and count on their linebackers to makes plays against the run. It is really their only shot.

If they try to make Ike man up on Marvin, it is pretty much over, it still is even if he gets help from Polamolu over the top, because Troy will be exposed overcommitting (he does this routinely, but usually makes up for it with speed).

[/ QUOTE ]

Start Hampton and Smith and rotate in Hoke for the 2 DT's. With Harrison unlikely to play, they might be better off with 5 DB's and 4 linebackers. With the mikelback in, Polamolu can play closer to the line, move all around the field presnap, and blitz occasionally.

Don't panic if they run for 80-100 yards the first half, and look to strip the receivers after the quick slants and outs.

Be aggressive on special teams, not an onside kick, but try to block a punt or two.

The silent count must work, and if the right tackle can't contain Freeney 'cause he is lining up too far outside, put the tight end or fulback in motion over to his side, or go with two tight ends.

Corey Simon won't be able to play every down, so be smart about when to run up the middle.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:22 PM

Freeny lines up against the LT, not right.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:46 PM

My mistake.

Anyway this makes more sense, since the TE would already be next to the right tackle.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When Peyton has time to throw and read the defense, he is almost unstoppable. The Patriots did a good job of keeping Manning off of his rythym (sp?) in past seasons. Pittsburg should do likewise and blitz the ish outta him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completely wrong. The way that Belichick has successfully defended the Colts has been to drop at least seven, if not eight, into a mix of man and zone that is well disguised before the snap, with slightly different looks almost every play. You don't need to blitz to take a quarterback out of rhythm. Blitzing Manning is a recipe for disaster. Getting rid of the ball quickly under blitz situations is probably his most remarkable skill as a quarterback. He might be the best ever at doing this.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Start Hampton and Smith and rotate in Hoke for the 2 DT's. With Harrison unlikely to play, they might be better off with 5 DB's and 4 linebackers. With the mikelback in, Polamolu can play closer to the line, move all around the field presnap, and blitz occasionally.

Don't panic if they run for 80-100 yards the first half, and look to strip the receivers after the quick slants and outs.

Be aggressive on special teams, not an onside kick, but try to block a punt or two.

The silent count must work, and if the right tackle can't contain Freeney 'cause he is lining up too far outside, put the tight end or fulback in motion over to his side, or go with two tight ends.

Corey Simon won't be able to play every down, so be smart about when to run up the middle.

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks like a good plan to me. You have to give them the run and allow them to move the ball a bit, making them earn as many first downs as possible on each drive.

If I was a Steelers fan, my biggest concern right now would be Bill Cowher. This is a winnable game for a Steelers team that is really peaking. But the things the Steelers must do to win this game involve moving away from the cliches of smashmouth football. They have to give up the run on defense and open it up a bit on offense. The question is whether Cowher will be too stubborn to do this.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:14 PM

Exactly. Blitzing the crap out of Manning might be the worst possible option.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:24 AM

i herby declare myself the biggest Steeler fan on 2plus2!!

okay, that's not true...but i sure as hell would like to see one more game in denver this year.

go steelers!!!
Old 01-15-2006, 03:40 AM

I'm pretty sure the Steelers are gonna run trick plays every other down. Like playing a video game.