Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2006, 09:38 PM

Default Potassium = Bananas

Potassium = Bananas
Old 05-17-2006, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Legs cramping during/after hard running...how to stop?

Amputation.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I play ultimate frisbee. The night before the second day of a two day tournament a bunch of the college-age players on our team elevate their legs above their head for 15-20 minutes. They say that this drains the lactic acid which has built up in their extremities and moves it towards the core of the body. They say this prevents that day after burn that some of us are very familiar with when you play and run very hard. Honestly to me this sounds like complete B.S. I think they are wasting their time and looking ridiculous besides. But then they were also the ones to introduce to me the concept of dynamic stretching (which I also thought was pretty stupid) so who knows? Anyone else hear of this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ultimate frissbee huh? Youre stoned, they are just trying to [censored] with your head.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've never been to an ultimate tournament. Not as many players are stoned as you might think. The game requires just as much stamina as any field sport.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:42 PM

I used to get really bad cramps in my legs after runnning so I just went ahead and stopped running, it seems to have helped.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:50 PM

A lot of protein powders have a lot of potassium in them too... try a protein/potassium shake before your run, should work well.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play ultimate frisbee. The night before the second day of a two day tournament a bunch of the college-age players on our team elevate their legs above their head for 15-20 minutes. They say that this drains the lactic acid which has built up in their extremities and moves it towards the core of the body. They say this prevents that day after burn that some of us are very familiar with when you play and run very hard. Honestly to me this sounds like complete B.S. I think they are wasting their time and looking ridiculous besides. But then they were also the ones to introduce to me the concept of dynamic stretching (which I also thought was pretty stupid) so who knows? Anyone else hear of this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems to be a common belief in Ultimate, but is wrong. Check out this recent article . In short, Lactic acid is good for your muscles, and "draining" it wouldn't work anyway, as it dissipates within an hour of finishing exercise.