Default Re: USA 5th in latest FIFA rankings

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
link

all the way up at 5th [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

FIFA is going to look stupid when the US gets bounced out the first round.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know it's cool to hate America, but we have one of the best teams in the world. Duh, they're ranked number FIVE. Not number ten, not number 20, not whatever. Five.
<font color="white"> Relax, I kid! </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

US is ranked 14th. Scroll down to see.

This rating system is more accepted. Not hating the US. I'm American.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This has been previously discussed but imagine if US was given Mexico's seed (good arguments can be made that US deserved it.). US fans would be looking past the rather soft group D and eyeing a round of 16 match against Netherlands than a possible round of 8 match vs. England/Sweeden.

Instead, if they play well and take 2nd in group E, they'll be staring at Brazil in the round of 16.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand the fact that the Americans here don't understand/appreaciate how big the differece is between European and American soccer. Look at it this way, If the US were that good, there would be US players in the top teams of the Italian, Spanish or English Leagues. Fact is that there are not a single American player good enough for the two strongest leagues (Italian and Spanish).

If the US were a top 5 team (which you're not), you should easily qualify from the group (which you won't).

Anyone claiming that the US should be seeded have very little knowlege of international soccer.

./Spaderess
Old 05-18-2006, 06:37 AM

Location: always C/Ring with 3 outs and usually getting there

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This has been previously discussed but imagine if US was given Mexico's seed (good arguments can be made that US deserved it.). US fans would be looking past the rather soft group D and eyeing a round of 16 match against Netherlands than a possible round of 8 match vs. England/Sweeden.

Instead, if they play well and take 2nd in group E, they'll be staring at Brazil in the round of 16.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand the fact that the Americans here don't understand/appreaciate how big the differece is between European and American soccer. Look at it this way, If the US were that good, there would be US players in the top teams of the Italian, Spanish or English Leagues. Fact is that there are not a single American player good enough for the two strongest leagues (Italian and Spanish).

If the US were a top 5 team (which you're not), you should easily qualify from the group (which you won't).

Anyone claiming that the US should be seeded have very little knowlege of international soccer.

./Spaderess

[/ QUOTE ]

While I know the United States is rated way above where it belongs in the FIFA rankings...I'd say it's pretty unfair to write us off in the first round

Wow, Italy and the Czechs are very good. So are we.

It's not just a difficult group for us...I'm sure the Italians and the Czechs are nervous about their first round draw. Just ask the Portugese about 2002.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If that is a moan then it is pretty pathetic. The general idea of the world cup is that the winners are the best country in the world [at football].

It is well known that the FIFA rankings are a joke and more a measure of how many games a country has played than anything else.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to laugh when the USA team doesn't get past the group stage

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Yeah, it'll be so funny if the US doesn't make it out of the group, considering they will have to beat either Italy or the Czech's, 2 of the best in the world...
Old 05-18-2006, 07:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Wow, Italy and the Czechs are very good. So are we.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but not as good, not even close.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can understand the fact that the Americans here don't understand/appreaciate how big the differece is between European and American soccer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Chelsea is coming to Chicago in July to play the MLS (Premier American League) All Stars. These players represent the majority of the best players in the US augmented with internationals. The MLS team will be in midseason form while Chelsea is in their preseason. I would put money on Chelsea for this game.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can understand the fact that the Americans here don't understand/appreaciate how big the differece is between European and American soccer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Chelsea is coming to Chicago in July to play the MLS (Premier American League) All Stars. These players represent the majority of the best players in the US augmented with internationals. The MLS team will be in midseason form while Chelsea is in their preseason. I would put money on Chelsea for this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

This won't prove anything.

-McGee
Old 05-18-2006, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, the scenario you describe is funny for so many reasons.

1. You assume US would probably finish ahead of Portugal
2. You assume Argentina would probably finish ahead of the Netherlands (it's actualy a close call that deserves a Netherlands/Argentina as you did with England/Sweden)
3. You think that facing the Netherlands (hottest team in the world last year) is significantly better for the US than Brazil

The US is a solid second tier team now. They deserve to be in the World Cup and they deserve a better shot at round 2 than they've got.

That said, they still have a shot (at round 2). Beat Ghana and squeeze a point out of Italy (notorious slow starters) or the Czechs and they could make it to, ok, face Brazil. It's bad for them, but they had a relatively easy draw last time.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

LOL, the scenario you describe is funny for so many reasons.

1. You assume US would probably finish ahead of Portugal

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite right, this is utterly preposterous. It would never happen.