Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2006, 02:39 PM

Default Re: PLO8 - $100 - Simple Pre-flop hand

[ QUOTE ]
I generally prefer a smaller raise with A23s, it plays well multi-way, so there is no reason to scare off the customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're allowed to bet/raise less than pot in this game?? What's the fun in that? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

(Maybe it's because I'm still at a level where a pot raise won't scare off anybody. They just don't respect my raises...)

As far as the OP, I think you played it fine. Gutshot straight draw + backdoor flush and low draws aren't enough to call a PSB for 1/3 of your remaining stack, imo.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:01 PM

There is nothing wrong with your line. Potting it in LP is fine, just calling the PFRR is fine, and chk-folding that flop is fine. Other lines could possibly be better against a specific opponent, for example here you might reraise pre or lead that flop. But I don't think this is a hand to 2nd-guess yourself too much on.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:12 PM

Hindsight is 20/20 and when I make large raises and get re-raised with strong multi way hands like that I end up saying to myself PAY ATTENTION TO WHO IS LEFT TO ACT DUMB ASS! I just turned a good hand into a marginal hand.

With that said I don’t see how calling off 20% of your stack out of position pre-flop and c/f to a C-bet from a loose aggressive player on flops you miss can show a long-term profit. If you’re just going to call the reraise then YOU HAVE TO BET THIS FLOP. An aggressive villain will bet with any 4 cards here. It’s automatic.

FWIW I would have push pre flop if I thought villain was loose post flop and stop and goed if villain was tight post flop.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With that said I don’t see how calling off 20% of your stack out of position pre-flop and c/f to a C-bet from a loose aggressive player on flops you miss can show a long-term profit. If you’re just going to call the reraise then YOU HAVE TO BET THIS FLOP. An aggressive villain will bet with any 4 cards here. It’s automatic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this at all. The opposite is true. You call the re-raise and fold when you miss in this heads-up hand, minimizing your loss. And don't kid yourself, this flop is a whiff heads-up. You bang the hand when you hit the flop, as Mr. Loose-Aggressive will likely re-raise you (if not at least call) and give you the chance to put all of your money in when you are way ahead, either on the flop or on the turn.

So, you are putting your money in when you are ahead, and not putting your money in when you are behind. I think that's a pretty good approach.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:16 PM

I agree that this flop was a whiff. I advocate betting it because I think it missed the villain as well also because the pot is large (42.5 BB) and it’s worth taking a shot at.

I’ll concede that my line may not be the best. I could be suffering form FPS. I still consider myself a beginner. I just don’t see how calling that large of a bet and c/f can be the optimal play.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that this flop was a whiff. I advocate betting it because I think it missed the villain as well also because the pot is large (42.5 BB) and it’s worth taking a shot at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think it missed villian? It's easy for him to have spades or some high cards in his hand, or an AA he is hell bent on showing down.

I know that it missed me. I don't know that it missed him. I don't see much reason to bluff this flop.

[ QUOTE ]
I just don’t see how calling that large of a bet and c/f can be the optimal play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm new too but I think there are going to be a lot of flops that I like that I will be willing to get my money in on. This is the reason I called pre-flop. This flop just didn't happen to be one that I liked. Just calling pre-flop allows me to get the money in when I like the flop and protect it when I don't like the flop. I think that is a good thing to happen. Shoving money in willy nilly because I have an A23s and my opponent is too loose and agressive seems a bit excessive.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:55 PM

If you fold in this spot regularly, you aren't losing much, if any, money.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I’ll concede that my line may not be the best. I could be suffering form FPS. I still consider myself a beginner. I just don’t see how calling that large of a bet and c/f can be the optimal play.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the extremely limited instance of a rock with a VPIP less than 15% (there are a few), I might bet the flop too. Against anyone else, bye bye.