Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Small Pairs in BB

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"3 bets!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost never 3 bet with pairs 99 and below out of the bb. If the guy is a complete retard (aka raises literally any 2 there) I might, but most players arne't quite retarded enough.

A good player raises...I'm almost never doing it though. Just my style.

[/ QUOTE ]
BK, heres a hypothetical for you. Lets say the hijack opens, and its folded to you and you just call with 99 out of the BB.(by the way I think this line is totally reasonable) And the flop comes out A73r, or AT3r or AK3r. How would you play this hand on each of these flops against an unknown.

I hope you dont misread my hypothetical question as an argument for 3 betting preflop with 99, becuz I see nothing wrong with your line here. This situation just popped in my head and I was curious how you deal with this specific situation.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"3 bets!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost never 3 bet with pairs 99 and below out of the bb. If the guy is a complete retard (aka raises literally any 2 there) I might, but most players arne't quite retarded enough.

[/ QUOTE ]
BK, heres a hypothetical for you. Lets say the hijack opens, and its folded to you and you just call with 99 out of the BB.(by the way I think this line is totally reasonable) And the flop comes out A73r, or AT3r or AK3r. How would you play this hand on each of these flops against an unknown.

I hope you dont misread my hypothetical question as an argument for 3 betting preflop with 99, becuz I see nothing wrong with your line here. This situation just popped in my head and I was curious how you deal with this specific situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

standard line? Check-call.

Sometimes I bet out...and when I do I almost ALWAYS see the sd. Same goes for check/raising.

The only times I don't see the sd are when I check/call, check/call, and the guy isn't the type to fire the third barrel on the river without that ace. If I don't know the player or I'm not sure, I just check/call it down.

The more action I put in the less likely I am to fold unless it's vs a super honest person, then I might put in a few bets trying to 'protect' my hand from QJ or whatever and they'll let me know if they have me beat and at that point I can fold.

Typicially the best line is a check/call though, as the pot is very small and doesn't really need protecting imo and you keep yourself out of messy spots that can lead to much bigger errors.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:47 PM

BK,

Why are you always seeing a showdown if you decide to check raise a A73 flop with 99? Im not saying I wouldnt usually get to a showdown if I took that line, but there has to be players who it would right to lay down agaist when played back at you no?

I agree that if you decide to lead it looks so weak that you probably cant fold at any point.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:22 PM

This some kind of trick question?
Old 12-29-2005, 11:19 PM

that's what i said steve. there are certain players I said i'd fold to but not a lot.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"3 bets!"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

standard line? Check-call.

Sometimes I bet out...and when I do I almost ALWAYS see the sd. Same goes for check/raising.

The only times I don't see the sd are when I check/call, check/call, and the guy isn't the type to fire the third barrel on the river without that ace. If I don't know the player or I'm not sure, I just check/call it down.

The more action I put in the less likely I am to fold unless it's vs a super honest person, then I might put in a few bets trying to 'protect' my hand from QJ or whatever and they'll let me know if they have me beat and at that point I can fold.

Typicially the best line is a check/call though, as the pot is very small and doesn't really need protecting imo and you keep yourself out of messy spots that can lead to much bigger errors.

[/ QUOTE ]
BK, thanx for the reply. These are situations I have been struggling with lately. I agree with you that checking and calling in these situations is usually the best line.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"3 bets!"

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-04-2006, 08:05 AM

His range is going to include non pocket pairs a large % of the time. I'd play all of the pocket pairs, including 3-betting 77-99.

I'd be looking to checkraise a lot of favorable flops with all of them.

Note: if this same player raised in early position, I'd fold all small pocket pairs.