Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2006, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Too Big a Bet?

Thanks wiggs, I think this is probably more FPS than anything. I realized that standard play was a pot bet, but wondered if there is a better/diffrent way to play this hand.

I had never thought of just calling here, but I really like that option. That what you are not commited if a scary flops comes, but a potentially good pay off if we flop a set. That is what I was hoping for from this post.

Button called with AKo and turned a K on me.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:24 AM

Well, obviously I was wrong about not getting called by AK but he did have the odds to take a flip, which I'm assuming he thought he'd be flipping at worse. I can't see anyone overbetting like this w/ AA or KK and since he'd get to see all 5...

But the main point is that you aren't getting paid by JJ- hardly ever when you push and so the fact that you're getting called by AA / KK / AK the vast majority of the time makes this a really less than ideal push imo.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:41 AM

Thanks wiggs, I felt like I played this hand like a idiot, that is why I posted it. Flop came 10 high and guy at table bitched about folding 10 10, that was my fear, because I knew I would get called by medium pairs then not be able to get away if I someone set up underneath me. I think a call here might be a very good line, I normally do not like calling with big pairs, but here I think it may be a good play in this instance.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:16 PM

So say I take a standard line on this hand, I raise to $35 and get two callers, 10 10 and AKo. So $116 in pot on the flop, flop comes 10 7 4 with 2 hearts, I bet $80, 10's calls and AK folds. Turn has $276 in pot and I have $85 left and the turn is a K, how can I not possibly lose my last $85. Seems like this happens all too often when I take a standard line but I just dont know how to avoid it. Not bitching about a bad beat, looking for a diffrent line to avoid it. I like the possible call, it just seemed so weak passive to me I had never thought about it.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So say I take a standard line on this hand, I raise to $35 and get two callers, 10 10 and AKo. So $116 in pot on the flop, flop comes 10 7 4 with 2 hearts, I bet $80, 10's calls and AK folds. Turn has $276 in pot and I have $85 left and the turn is a K, how can I not possibly lose my last $85. Seems like this happens all too often when I take a standard line but I just dont know how to avoid it. Not bitching about a bad beat, looking for a diffrent line to avoid it. I like the possible call, it just seemed so weak passive to me I had never thought about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

a pot-sized raise pf is to 45.

id make it an even 50.

and getting in 50 preflop v. TT, if he flops a T, good for him. hes not getting odds in the long run.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you lose in that situation. but what happens when the flop comes 4,7,9. You get TT to pay you off more.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and getting in 50 preflop v. TT, if he flops a T, good for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

reload

[ QUOTE ]
hes not getting odds in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-15-2006, 12:32 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

a pot-sized raise pf is to 45.

[/ QUOTE ]

$6 raise, plus 4 $6 callers, plus $1 and $2, isnt that $33?

or am I missing something?
Old 05-15-2006, 12:34 PM

If the first player raises with a wide spectrum of hands and the players are not known to SP big pairs, what is so bad with an all-in? Your raise will be huge anyway - but will still give AK a chance to bust you. If you go all-in it's a good thing that AK folds (but you must think AK will fold). He has pot odds to call.

Also, under the right circumstances, it seems like a good way to show some muscles in the game. You could even show your queens when taking it down.

I actually think Brunson writes about a similiar scenario in SS2.
But I am still a little skeptical, raiser must be a live one and the callers straight-forward and still - maybe this move would be a LOT better if the initial raiser raised 4 x bb instead of 3.

Some math kid should be able to figure this one out.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:35 PM

What does everyone else think about calling and trying to spike a Q for a possible small risk and large reward?