Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2006, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Keeping track of your play?

Just so that you are aware, when you see a site that offers something like PokerTracker or PokerOffice for "free" it means you are signing up through an affiliate and are often giving up the opportunity for rakeback in the process. There is certainly nothing wrong with signin up through one of these guys to get a free copy of software and saving yourself some money, but I just want to make sure you realize that there are lot of other offers available as well, and some might be better for your specific needs.

Also, I'd like to put my vote in for Pokertracker. Although PoerOffice seems great for a beginner, I think you quickly grow past the need for things like counting outs and it possibly even hurt your developement as a player to rely on that sort of thing. If you look at most of the experienced players here, almost all of them use pokertracker and I think that says something for it.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can get Pokertracker from PSO(the bonus forum sponsor here) for free when you do a promotion through them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where? How?
Old 05-16-2006, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can get Pokertracker from PSO(the bonus forum sponsor here) for free when you do a promotion through them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where? How?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I mentioned before, the "free" copy of Pokertracker is instead of the cash that many sites will offer. Pokertracker costs $55, so if you can find an affiliate offering more than $55 to sign up then you can get a "free" copy of Pokertracker plus whatever extra they give. On the other hand, if most people are giving only $50 for whatever site PSO gives away PT for then its a good deal. Make sure to do at least a little affiliate research before signing up for "free" software.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:43 PM

PSO has a promo with pokerroom.com that will give you 12,000 PSO points to use in their "store." Pokertracker costs 5k points, leaving you with 7k for other stuff(poker books, amazon gift certs, etc. Also, pokerroom offers a $200 sign up bonus in addition.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:26 AM

I have a spreadsheet I have used for years. I track every table I sit at so I cannot ever lie to myself about whether I am a winning or losing player. I also use pokertracker and evaluate my hands with it (as well as use my opponents stats to make decisions while playing them).

Starting out I would highly suggest you keep a simple spreadsheet or tablet or something and just write down how much you sit down with and how much you walk away with from each table so you can see for yourself exactly how you are doing. I Also would highly recommend purchasing pokertracker to check your play and evaluate hands easily.

Sorry if this was already mentioned, didn't bother reading all the other replies before posting.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PSO has a promo with pokerroom.com that will give you 12,000 PSO points to use in their "store." Pokertracker costs 5k points, leaving you with 7k for other stuff(poker books, amazon gift certs, etc. Also, pokerroom offers a $200 sign up bonus in addition.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pokerroom PSO promo seems good but I did the party PSO promo. Deposited $500. Got $100 party bonus plus 9k (worth $90) in PSO points. The easiest promo ive ever done. $190 in cash and credits in next to no time. Took 250 raked hands to clear both. woot woot. Thankyou PSO.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just so that you are aware, when you see a site that offers something like PokerTracker or PokerOffice for "free" it means you are signing up through an affiliate and are often giving up the opportunity for rakeback in the process. There is certainly nothing wrong with signin up through one of these guys to get a free copy of software and saving yourself some money, but I just want to make sure you realize that there are lot of other offers available as well, and some might be better for your specific needs.

Also, I'd like to put my vote in for Pokertracker. Although PoerOffice seems great for a beginner, I think you quickly grow past the need for things like counting outs and it possibly even hurt your developement as a player to rely on that sort of thing. If you look at most of the experienced players here, almost all of them use pokertracker and I think that says something for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "odds and outs" are only an extra feature in Poker Office. I don't understand all these arguments that pokertracker has so many better things than PokerOffice. The newer versions of Poker Office has pretty much everything pokertracker has, + good graphs and a very nice built in tracker.

I think the reason that so many players here use pokertracker is becuase a couple of years ago maybe it had more detailed statistics and so on. And since a lot of people started out with pokertracker that's what people here recommend. I see loads of threads where people just say; buy pokertracker it's better, without telling why.

I have used both of the softwares and I prefer Poker Office 2. Until now Poker Office did'nt support the Pokerroom.com network but now that it does I'm all Poker Office.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:32 AM

I have not used PokerOffice, but just the simple fact that all of the top players use pokertracker is enough justification for me.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The pokerroom PSO promo seems good but I did the party PSO promo. Deposited $500. Got $100 party bonus plus 9k (worth $90) in PSO points. The easiest promo ive ever done. $190 in cash and credits in next to no time. Took 250 raked hands to clear both. woot woot. Thankyou PSO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since many players like to play party, there are other affiliates that offer "different rewards" that are more profitable long term. If you plan on playing party any amount, I suggest you search out a better reward from an affiliate. This falls into the situation someone mentioned above about not forgoing a certain "unmentionable" thing when signing up through an affiliate. I recommend doing promos through PSO for sites that have no "unmentionable" programs or for sites you don't plan on playing lots.

For more info see the affiliates/rakeback forum here...
Old 05-17-2006, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have not used PokerOffice, but just the simple fact that all of the top players use pokertracker is enough justification for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I was talking about in my post.