Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2006, 10:02 PM

Default Re: What do other pros think about Bonds?

[ QUOTE ]

"Baseball" hates Black people? Oh really? Baseball is made of black people, so this isn't possible. People love talking about Jackie Robinson, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock, Henry Aaron, etc. "Baseball" hates nobody.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey I didn't say it, it was a quote from Torri Hunter.

[ QUOTE ]
One white, and two hispanics (sosa, palmeiro) have already been swept under the carpet. A black is about to join them. And the Earth keeps turning...

[/ QUOTE ]

In all fairness, many current black players view it slightly differently. They see one white and two hispanics not swept under the carpet, but protected from intense media scrutiny, while the black one gets the fifth-degree.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:02 PM

this race card thing is driving me nuts. I have no problems with bonds he will go down as one of the greatest players. I would stand up and clap for him if I was at the ball park.
Problem is he comes across as an arshole. The other white players you talk about are out of the game. I think most major league players would all say the same thing weather white,black,domincan,mexican,asian. Funny thing was I was watching a sports talk show were one guy on the panel said He refused to autograph the ball when asked. Barry's biggest problem is his image. His agent is part of the problem to and most dispise him too. Not cause he is white or black but because hes a jerk
Old 05-10-2006, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They see one white and two hispanics not swept under the carpet, but protected from intense media scrutiny, while the black one gets the fifth-degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because the black one is still playing and about to pass one of baseball's legendary milestones, and the other guys are all retired.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They see one white and two hispanics not swept under the carpet, but protected from intense media scrutiny, while the black one gets the fifth-degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because the black one is still playing and about to pass one of baseball's legendary milestones, and the other guys are all retired.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Like I said, when Bonds retires, he will go under the rug with the other juicers. The only thing that would keep him from totally being forgotten would be if he passes Aaron.

If he doesn't pass Aaron, he'll still have the single-season record, but that isn't nearly as valuable as the all-time record, IMO.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the other guys are all retired.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you know 12 big leaguers tested positive for steroids and were suspended last season? 11 of them are NOT RETIRED. Without looking it up, how many of them can you name of the top of your head?

Still think it is about steroids?

Without looking it up, can you name which MLB player tested positive and was suspended within the LAST TWO WEEKS, but strangely didn't even merit much of a mention in the press?

Still think it is about steroids?

Of course it isn't. It's about Bonds nearing a hallowed record.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:45 AM

Its Like when Ben Johnson tests positive and it is big news and than Youglee Bouglee Bobsledder from the Turks & Caicos tests positive no one cares. Part Of me agrees with you though that it may not be all about steroids but the fact he is a jerk. I do think baseball is Hypocritical as they knew this problem was going on all along but they loved the Homerun Ball and did nothing. Remember I Don't mind barry and think he deserves the record I just dont think its a race thing.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yawn, yawn, yawn.

There are several reasons Bonds is hated. Is race one of them? For some people? Sure. As is the fact that he took 'roids, as is the fact that he's about to pass a legend of the game. As is the fact many people believe he himself is racist.

What does all this mean? Not much. Once Bonds retires, (unless he passes Aaron which I still think won't happen), he will be forgotten just like McGwire, Palmeiro, and $am-ME $o-$o.

"Baseball" hates Black people? Oh really? Baseball is made of black people, so this isn't possible. People love talking about Jackie Robinson, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock, Henry Aaron, etc. "Baseball" hates nobody. People hate people. If people hate Bonds, that is their perogotive (sp?).

Last time I checked, nobody cared about McGwire anymore...am I wrong??? One white, and two hispanics (sosa, palmeiro) have already been swept under the carpet. A black is about to join them. And the Earth keeps turning...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put
Old 05-11-2006, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its Like when Ben Johnson tests positive and it is big news and than Youglee Bouglee Bobsledder from the Turks & Caicos tests positive no one cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for one little detail. Bonds has NOT tested positive. Those other guys HAVE.

The huge fuss is being made about one guy and <u>alleged</u> use, rather than the other 12 guys with <u>confirmed</u> use.

That is why it is so obvious that despite what the haters say, it isn't about steroids. It is about a RECORD.

[ QUOTE ]

Remember I Don't mind barry and think he deserves the record I just dont think its a race thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Race plays about as much a role as steroids, which plays about as much a role as his percevied personality, which all of those combined is very small.

THE RECORD is the driving force. 714 and 755 are the factors, not HGH or being black.

It's not about the "clear" or the "cream",
it's all about SEVEN FIFTEEN!
Old 05-11-2006, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like a millimeter from being brilliant.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like a millimeter from being brilliant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was doing it in my Johnnie Cochran voice, does that push it over the edge to brilliance?