Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2006, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Pool cues

Never buy a cue you haven't played with.

Hit balls with the largest variety of cues you can find, then buy the one with the sweetest hit.

After the first one or two hundred dollars, you are paying for cosmetics. I've owned Joss Wests worth thousands of dollars, but they didn't hit any better than a $15 Adams I bought in the 70s. (Bill, I hope you're not reading this.) An un-jointed wall cue that is properly maintained and has a proper tip is as good as any cue made, but may be a problem to transport. (Haven't I seen snooker players with unjointed cues?)

Many american nine-ballers have two or more cues; one for breaking. Power breaks can damage some joints and ferrules. I play with a Schuler and don't worry about it, but if you are going to spend money on a fancy cue, you might consider a break cue, or breaking off the wall.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:14 PM

I have a Predator 314-4
Old 05-10-2006, 04:32 PM

Location: There\'s no real \"evidence\" for it but it is scientific fact

Play snooker man. It's what real men do over here.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:04 PM

I am a big fan of McDermott. Their cues have a nice soft, dead hit to them. My previous cue was a cheapo and I felt like the ball kind of jumped off the tip. I added a Predator shaft and really like it. It didn't take that long to get used to, and definitely improved my game.

And Phat Mack is right - the increased cost within a line of cues is purely cosmetic. For < $500 you can get a nice looking butt and a predator shaft.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:11 AM

I play with an early Predator and love it. I don't like the hit of the new models with the quick release joint as much. I would strongly recommend hitting some balls with one before purchasing; as others have said, you'll either love it or hate it.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[brag]That said, I play with a one-of-a-kind Richard Black.[/brag]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hit some balls a few weeks ago with my boss's Richard Black. It's gorgeous -- cocobolo forearm and buttsleeve, 12 ivory points, 6 up, 6 down, ivory ferrule, joint, and buttcap. The balance was VERY forward and the hit was the stiffest i ever felt, and I've owned a few stiff hitters recently (a rosewood on rosewood Kersenbrock, an early Lambros, a Ray Schuler, and a Jim Granding sneaky pete). Needless to say, attempting to run out with it deflated my ego a bit.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Then there are those funny tips. Mouri? We play snooker in the UK mainly, or pool on smaller tables (with lighter balls) so I've never seen them

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like the Moori tips, however, they are pretty pricy. There are some other layered tips out there that are good -- Talisman makes a good one, so does Instroke (if you can get them). I'd recommend staying away from Tiger and Sniper tips, I've heard of an awful lot of bad batches of them lately. Water buffalo tips are good if you like hard tips.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:59 AM

I love my Meuci
Old 05-11-2006, 05:18 AM

I have a predator and I love it
Old 05-11-2006, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love my Meuci

[/ QUOTE ]

Go with a Meucci or Predator if you want a well made, beautiful cue, that performs.

If looks are of no importance, go with a cue-tec. Stop laughing. IMO they are the best performing cue on the maket, dollar for dollar. The downside: They're uuuuuh-gly.

Meuccis and predators start at around $400, cue-tecs at around $100.

p.s. Don't even think of buying any other cue under $250 or so, they're pretty much all junk.