Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2006, 09:41 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Re: England World Cup squad

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Walcott is a huge gamble but I haven't seen him play yet so I can't pass judgement on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither has Sven!

[/ QUOTE ]

doesnt that seem like a pretty bad idea as far as scouting and whatnot goes? what does he do all day? ive seen theo walcott play games and im some casual idiot soccer fan from the US.

rj
Old 05-08-2006, 09:50 PM

Sven and various other cronies from the FA have been watching Theo in training every day for the past 2 weeks. I don't see what the big deal is, Ronaldo was fairly untested when he went to USA in '94 aged 16. Even if they are just sitting on the bench (or in the crowd if they don't even make it that far) it sets them up for the future and takes the pressure off come 2010. An experience thing if you will.

As an Arsenal fan, I can happily say that Campbell is [censored] and we should have taken King. Ashley Cole on the other hand is looking very sharp and if he can link up with Joe Cole (or Downing) then that left side could be very dangerous.

Crouch is a pretty good player I reckon, he can play at an international level definately. He may not be in the top percentile like Rooney and perhaps Owen but he can win balls, keep the ball, and score goals. Darren Bent and Jermaine Defoe are more pacy players and finishers, a bit like Owen. You have to have a target man to play the fast players through and I think Crouch may surprise a few heads at the WC.

I don't think it's a huge surprise that SWP has been left out. Sat on a bench all season (and not through injury) sort of suggests he isn't up to international standards if he isn't even good enough to get a place in the premiership. Plus Sven is in love with Mr Beckham, who is probably slightly overrated but still world class.

Like many others I am happy that Lennon is getting a chance, he looked very dangerous against us and i've heard he has been giving loads of clubs the run around this year.

Lets hope that Rooney recovers to play a game or two, and that Robinson doesn't get injured. Cos if he does we are [censored]. Completely.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you have to name rooney even if it's 95% he'll miss the world cup. if you don't, and he's ready, you look like an idiot.

this team is poor, but i don't really see what sven should have done instead. he can't magically heal the injured or turn back the clock.

[/ QUOTE ]

the type of injury he has normally takes around 10-12 weeks to heal. WHen becks got his similar injury in 02, he had a little more time to recover then Rooney does. Not naming Bent, Defoe, or Kevin Nolan IMO was a mistake. One problem this does highlight though is that right now England have a serious lack of international quality strikers, either that, or Sven lacks less imagionation then was previously thought
Old 05-09-2006, 08:55 AM

How can Sven lack imagination when he has picked Theo Walcot? I'm surprised he didn't pick Defoe, I would have dropped Hargreaves/Jenas (we REALLY do not need both of them) and had Defoe instead. But there you go i'm not England manager. Or paid £5 million a year. [censored].
Old 05-09-2006, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It beats me why they always pick 3 goalkeepers - for 7 games max. You can even replace an injured player from outside the squad so why bother? The chances of needing 3 keepers in that number of games is close to zero.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can only replace an injured player from upto the day before the opening game. After that it is closed.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sven and various other cronies from the FA have been watching Theo in training every day for the past 2 weeks. I don't see what the big deal is, Ronaldo was fairly untested when he went to USA in '94 aged 16.

[/ QUOTE ]

The big deal is that when we're only taking 4 strikers, 2 of whom are injured then we can't afford to be wasting places on a 17 year old kid who *might* be good and hasn't even played at the top level. The fact is that if he was that good Wenger would have used him at least as a sub already. His place should have been given to someone who has actually played for England and done well, e.g Defoe or even Fowler would've been a better option.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a huge surprise that SWP has been left out. Sat on a bench all season (and not through injury) sort of suggests he isn't up to international standards if he isn't even good enough to get a place in the premiership.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's bollocks, he was a regular at Man City last season and was runner-up Premiership player of the year I believe. He has looked sharp every time he has played for England. It was simply a mistake to move to Chelsea where he is battling with Robben, Duff and Cole to get in the team.

I think Eriksson has chosen very poorly but it doesn't surprise me given his history of being found badly lacking when it comes to tactics at the highest level. Unfortunately we are probably in for more of the same from McClaren.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The big deal is that when we're only taking 4 strikers, 2 of whom are injured then we can't afford to be wasting places on a 17 year old kid who *might* be good and hasn't even played at the top level.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is obvious to me is that Sven-Göran has decided to play 4-5-1 unless Rooney get's healthy. Crouch will play alone whith Owen as reserve. If Rooney don't get better you can still replace him with Fowler or Dafoe. This means that you really don't need that many strikers. I don't know this Walcot (spelling?) but the media say's he's a very fast player and that could be valuable.

I believe this to be a very interesting selection by Sven-Göran and I'm looking forward to see him play (if he gets the opportunity).
Old 05-09-2006, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The big deal is that when we're only taking 4 strikers, 2 of whom are injured then we can't afford to be wasting places on a 17 year old kid who *might* be good and hasn't even played at the top level.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is obvious to me is that Sven-Göran has decided to play 4-5-1 unless Rooney get's healthy. Crouch will play alone whith Owen as reserve. If Rooney don't get better you can still replace him with Fowler or Dafoe. This means that you really don't need that many strikers. I don't know this Walcot (spelling?) but the media say's he's a very fast player and that could be valuable.

I believe this to be a very interesting selection by Sven-Göran and I'm looking forward to see him play (if he gets the opportunity).

[/ QUOTE ]

This could be a dumb question because I know next to nothing about international soccer, but why would Owen play reserve? I thought he was supposed to be a star?
Old 05-09-2006, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This could be a dumb question because I know next to nothing about international soccer, but why would Owen play reserve? I thought he was supposed to be a star?

[/ QUOTE ]

a) because he's coming off an injury and b) (and I'll probably get flammed by english posters) he's not a star, he's hugely overrated because he became famous while very young and he's very fast and generally talented.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:39 PM

owen WAS a star, but he's been slipping for years now.