Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2006, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Best opening line of a movie?

"If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker."

j/k
Old 05-07-2006, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Saigon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sh!t.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not really a "line," but the best opening monologue. I'm surprised it hasn't shown up yet.

"A way out west there was a fella, fella I want to tell you about, fella by the name of Jeff Lebowski. At least, that was the handle his lovin' parents gave him, but he never had much use for it himself. This Lebowski, he called himself the Dude. Now, Dude, that's a name no one would self-apply where I come from. But then, there was a lot about the Dude that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. And a lot about where he lived, like- wise. But then again, maybe that's why I found the place s'durned innarestin'. They call Los Angeles the City of Angels. I didn't find it to be that exactly, but I'll allow as there are some nice folks there. 'Course, I can't say I seen London, and I never been to France, and I ain't never seen no queen in her damn undies as the fella says. But I'll tell you what, after seeing Los Angeles and thisahere story I'm about to unfold--wal, I guess I seen somethin' ever' bit as stupefyin' as ya'd see in any a those other places, and in English too, so I can die with a smile on my face without feelin' like the good Lord gypped me. Now this story I'm about to unfold took place back in the early nineties--just about the time of our conflict with Sad'm and the Eye-rackies. I only mention it 'cause some- times there's a man--I won't say a hee-ro, 'cause what's a hee-ro?--but sometimes there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here-- sometimes there's a man who, wal, he's the man for his time'n place, he fits right in there--and that's the Dude, in Los Angeles."

[/ QUOTE ]

The Dude abides, and I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family, Choose a f*cking big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of f*cking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing sprit-crushing game shows, stuffing f*cking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing you last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, f*cked-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:04 PM

From Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid.

What happened to the old bank? It was beautiful.
Guard: People kept robbing it.
Butch Cassidy: Small price to pay for beauty.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not really a "line," but the best opening monologue. I'm surprised it hasn't shown up yet.

"A way out west there was a fella, fella I want to tell you about, fella by the name of Jeff Lebowski. At least, that was the handle his lovin' parents gave him, but he never had much use for it himself. This Lebowski, he called himself the Dude. Now, Dude, that's a name no one would self-apply where I come from. But then, there was a lot about the Dude that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. And a lot about where he lived, like- wise. But then again, maybe that's why I found the place s'durned innarestin'. They call Los Angeles the City of Angels. I didn't find it to be that exactly, but I'll allow as there are some nice folks there. 'Course, I can't say I seen London, and I never been to France, and I ain't never seen no queen in her damn undies as the fella says. But I'll tell you what, after seeing Los Angeles and thisahere story I'm about to unfold--wal, I guess I seen somethin' ever' bit as stupefyin' as ya'd see in any a those other places, and in English too, so I can die with a smile on my face without feelin' like the good Lord gypped me. Now this story I'm about to unfold took place back in the early nineties--just about the time of our conflict with Sad'm and the Eye-rackies. I only mention it 'cause some- times there's a man--I won't say a hee-ro, 'cause what's a hee-ro?--but sometimes there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here-- sometimes there's a man who, wal, he's the man for his time'n place, he fits right in there--and that's the Dude, in Los Angeles."

[/ QUOTE ]

The Dude abides, and I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife is really cool, but I can't get her at all motivated to watch this movie. She has no interest in it and I just don't get it.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:28 PM

Total guy flick. All men except for the gorgeous girl who'll suck any guy for a grand and the lesbian who still wants to sleep with the main character. There's not much for women to latch on to.

That said, it's obviously awesome.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:19 AM

"I believe in America."
Old 05-08-2006, 02:48 AM

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away
Old 05-08-2006, 02:50 AM

Suntan lotion is good for me. You protect me teeheehee