Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2006, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Milwaukee\'s Best Light Ads--subtext?

if you think this beer is the worst beer ever, you must have never had a bud light.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:54 AM

Zetack, why are you cluttering the board with this crap? Your post is just a cover for Milwaukee's Best Light's true intentions.

These ads are a BLATANT attempt by the Pat Robertson crowd to get their agenda on television of a vengeful God who acts upon sinners in their day to day lives. The fact each of them is hit by a beer can indicates that we are ALL sinners, and thar we all have feminine tendencies and are going to hell for it.

Robertson secretly had bought a controlling majority of MBL stock, and is secretly trying to indocrinate the American people into the mindset that if they do not drink MBL, they will be struck down by God for their sins, since you never see a person holding MBL in those ads be hit by a beer can.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But what I hand't noticed before is its the same five guys in each ad (sometimes only three of them are in an add, but its always a subset of the same five guys)......

Is the message I'm supposed to take away from this is that guys who get together and drink Milwaukee's Best Light all a bunch of pansies?

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

We often find male threatening archetypes in advertising.
We often find the buddy as a theme; families and children with males are not as common.
Advertising narrows the definition of what it means to be a man, at least that’s what the professionals say.

I think these ads are trying to break from that track.

At some level most of us related to individuals in ads that we perceive as possessing similar qualities to ourselves, be in physical or otherwise…

Rotating the squashed guy, while continuing to use the same cast in the ad has the effect of pulling us into the situation where we see our archetype as the clown in one ad, the cool guy in another and softens out the whole effect.

I think its pretty damn sharp at least from a Jung point of view…

But hell that’s what I was saying the last time a beer can dropped on my head…
Old 01-13-2006, 12:07 PM

can i just call you 'London System' for short?
Old 01-13-2006, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an extremely important theory that I believe is worth exploring more deeply.

The bird-watchers amongst us may wish to chime-in with their thoughts.

I'm not exactly the manliest of men.
I hate pro-wrestling...but dig many artsy, foreign-flims.

Also - fwiw, I don't even drink beer because just half-a-can makes me really sleepy (I can drink other alcohol without getting sleepy for some reason).

And I have a cute, little cat who sits in my lap and purrs and I have been known to make really ridiculous voices when saying, "you're the cutest little kitty. yes you are. yes you are."

To date, I have yet to have a gigantic beer-can fall on top of me (nor have I had any near-misses where I needed to successfully dodge any gigantic beer cans falling from the sky)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, Bob, clearly it must be the fact that all five of these guys are secret pansies that attracts the Giant Beer Can of Doom (what Zeus ran out of thunderbolts?). The schooling effect brings the attention of the Can Hurler, who then waits for one of the group to step our of line then...Bam! Frothy Beer!

On a side note. That's a hell of a lot beer. I wonder if I could get a group of the right type of guys together and wait for lightening...um...Can-age to strike. I'd be set for months...

On another side note, does anybody know if its the same group of guys in the Chris Ferguson MBL ads?

--Zetack
Old 01-13-2006, 02:10 PM

Hell.. you can change my nick to London System if you have the admin power thingy...