Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2006, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Turbo Film Club

I bought it, man. It's on my shelf. I'm just pretty busy, and finding 3 solid hours to do nothing but watch a film is not easy (says the guy that fits in 20+ hours of 2+2 a day...)
Old 05-17-2006, 07:20 PM

OOinsight, great post like someone said above -- out of curiousity, though, you pulled that from some essay you wrote recently, no?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bought it, man. It's on my shelf. I'm just pretty busy, and finding 3 solid hours to do nothing but watch a film is not easy (says the guy that fits in 20+ hours of 2+2 a day...)

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw both in the theater and have seen each 8-10 times since on DVD ... I'm not sure the rush for Monday is going to be warranted for you with Thin Red Line. For every person that raves about it there are so many that are bored senseless by it and invariably that leads to North/South differences of opinion. (I'm one of the few people that have seen it many times that would give anything of a medium rating for it -- maybe 6.5 or 7 out of 10, but I might be biased against it slightly by the people I know that sing its praises far more than they should because they love the director because certain types of people say you should.)
Old 05-17-2006, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OOinsight, great post like someone said above -- out of curiousity, though, you pulled that from some essay you wrote recently, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually no. A long time ago I watached The Thin Red Line critically for a media class on contrasting imagery but never compared with SPR or looked at it in this context. I hope we have more of these side-by-sides, got my brain working
Old 05-17-2006, 07:59 PM

I loved them both. But they are so incredibly different I don't know where to start!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Actually no. A long time ago I watached The Thin Red Line critically for a media class on contrasting imagery but never compared with SPR or looked at it in this context. I hope we have more of these side-by-sides, got my brain working

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, and kudos I guess, as that was quite a well thought-out post, hence my question. (Not that it would diminish your point if you cut-and-pasted, but it would at least make the world make a little more sense than that just flying out of your fingers for a random post in a random thread.)
Old 05-17-2006, 10:08 PM

Barron,

Boring may just be Malick, he tends to do that to certain audiences. But you can't say people like it b/c you are supposed to b/c of the director, this could be said by too many movies to count if that were the case. We are here to judge the movie for its content not its credits that scroll through at the end, obviously you know this b/c of your response...I am just saying a 2p2 film club has no reason to be pretentious.

I prefer TTRL b/c of how different it is from every war movie you see, let alone how great of a piece work it is. And yes I am a huge fan of Malick, sorry, but his movies are pure art and I watch his movies from a detached point of view.

BTW, I am loving some of these responses. Keep them coming, you too Dom.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:20 PM

No need to apologies for liking him -- I like his stuff too, just far FAR less than those that are part of his (unofficial) cult. But I don't just write off his stuff as "boring" as I enjoy his films and I can't imagine not seeking out anything new he puts out (like, you know, eight years from now). It would be nice if people did like you claim and just judge his work without the faction-war of Side A shouting how he is boring without any story and Side B replying that he is a Genius Of Epic Proportions Whose Work Is Beyond Mortal Understanding.

Push comes to shove and I'm figuring out Ryan or Line to pop into the DVD, the former edges out the latter most times. Ryan works in a lot more situations a lot better whereas you have to be ready for it with Line.

(And let's not even think about which has a better opening half hour -- storm the beach ahoy.)
Old 05-17-2006, 10:40 PM

Barron,

I forgot to mention that your North vs. South analogy was pretty good in reference to Malick. It definitely showed in TTRL, whereas there weren't too many people that hated SPR, most loved it and the rest thought it was pretty good and TTRL, like some of Malick's work (most recently "The New World") is love it or hate it. I think some of the best work is a product that will tend to get such drastic opinions, it creates thought and a difference of opinion.

I watch a lot of movies late at night by myself, or on the back of a bus by myself and TTRL is the movie for this. SPR is the movie for everyone, b/c more people are going to enjoy it, like you said.

Yeah the storming of the beach was what I was talking about with the great camera work. When I first saw the movie, after that scene I thought it SPR was going to be unbelievable, but it tailed off a lot, IMO. That scene is incredible.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah the storming of the beach was what I was talking about with the great camera work. When I first saw the movie, after that scene I thought it SPR was going to be unbelievable, but it tailed off a lot, IMO. That scene is incredible.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, in all fairness, after the DDay scene, the film could do nothing but tail off. That scene may be some of the best 20 minutes of film in the past 30 years and is IMO maybe the best 20 minutes of film for war films. It was in some ways a little too real for what real action may be like(having only ever shot a gun at a range and never going to be anywhere close to action, that is just my guess). I think going to the mission part of it was good and the pacing of action/mission wasn't all that bad. I think that if the majority of the film had been like the DDay scene, it probably would've been too much and would've taken away from the story