Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2006, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Calling FOR MY STACK with middle pair vs a complete maniac, stand

[ QUOTE ]
standard. just a quick question tho, villain seems to have 430ish if he pushes for 253.10 at the end.

just to clarify, is this 2/4 or 3/6?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya it's 3/6. Sry about that, I suppose the title is pretty misleading.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a raise on the turn is a better play here. It prevents the 3rd heart, 3rd diamond etc. Since this donkey will play just about anything, you want him to see less cards, not more. Credit for putting yourself on the winner and seeing it through.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not if he'll bet the river with nothing. OPs line is perfect IMO.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there are way too many river cards that ruin your hand; you must raise or fold on the turn

I would fold, although I wasn't there; if you really, really think this donk is just tilt, then a shove could be pretty profitable

[/ QUOTE ]

I sort of agree with you. But, I mean, I have no idea what river cards will ruin my hand. For all I know I'm behind right now. If I raise the turn, I feel like Villian will fold everything I beat and call/push with pretty much everything that beats me. However, I don't have a strong hand here and this begs the question of do I want Villian to fold? And after some thought, maybe I do. This is not a hand where I need to stack him--I can win a nice pot with a pretty bad hand here. After reading the responses, I like raising the turn the best. As someone mentioned, he's certainly not drawing dead, and I feel like there's no reason to let him hit one of his outs when I have such a weak hand.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:14 PM

Default Results

Well he had KJo and MHIG.

I didn't really have a read. By that I mean, generally I figure out my opponents' betting patterns and in this instance, the lead on the turn surprised me. I basically just thought that he thought that I had a weak hand, he's a maniac, and he's probably tilting. I'll just call him down and let him make mistakes.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Calling FOR MY STACK with middle pair vs a complete maniac, standard?

nh, these can be incredibly profitable situations. I think its just a matter of being able to shift gears, get away from the "correct poker" mindset and get in this guys head.

Hes a gambler, thinks you have nothing (and you dont have much, youd fold against someone else), so here he comes.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Calling FOR MY STACK with middle pair vs a complete maniac, standard?

I totally HATE raising the turn here, because a raise puts you all in.

Two things could happen: Either you are ahead, in which case he's going to stop trying to push you off and will just fold; or else you are behind, in which case he calls and YGHN. If you plan to put it all in with your cheese, give him a chance to bluff again! The ONLY way this makes money is if you are ahead right now but he would have drawn out on the river. If you are confidant that he will bluff the river even if he misses, then a check is more profitable.

By the way, I don't think a lot of calling this down, either. You'll find better hands to take a stand with. Just let him think he's succeeding in running you over, just wait for at least top pair to make your stand.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

By the way, I don't think a lot of calling this down, either. You'll find better hands to take a stand with. Just let him think he's succeeding in running you over, just wait for at least top pair to make your stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like your thinking here. You don't take into account the fact that other people might bust him before a "better opportunity comes along."
Old 05-04-2006, 05:03 PM

If you call the turn, then you call the river for sure.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:30 PM

I like the way the hero played this hand against a maniac villian. Lets use the percentages that Trey posted. Assume the hero will call the villian's AI bet on the river no matter what card comes off. The hero wins 400+ about 2/3 of the time while the villian sucks out and wins 400+ about 1/3 of the time. Here, the hero is definately getting the best of it. Now, assume that the hero taps on the turn. Anytime the villain has nothing, he will fold, netting the hero a profit of about $200 with no risk of losing to a suck out. Sometimes the villian has a hand that is ahead of the hero, and he will call. Lets say that the hero will lose $400 2/3 of the time when this happens.

I guess my question is, do we really want to chase out the villian with a raise on the turn when we have the best of it, or are we better off calling and hope he bluffs off the rest of his stack on the river?