Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2006, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Open-limping on button

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see any reason not to open limp on the button if it makes people make big mistakes postflop. If all I have to do to convince someone I have AA is open limp on the button, being 'gay' seems like a small price to pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, if you can turn open limping to your advantage, it would be worthwhile (i.e. overaggro blinds who think you like to squeeze when they raise, for instance). in general, without a read, there is no real benefit to doing it though.

and bluffthis, i totally misinterpreted your post earlier, i thought you were talking about calling button's raise and c/f every flop you missed.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see any reason not to open limp on the button if it makes people make big mistakes postflop. If all I have to do to convince someone I have AA is open limp on the button, being 'gay' seems like a small price to pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are gay?
Old 05-02-2006, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TWP,

As I mentioned in my first post here, you have to be dealing with idiots for them to generate a big pot OOP when you open limp the button with anything and they have a very mediocre hand. So how does convincing them that you have AA when on average they have Q7o/J5s have any benefit for a $50 pot?
Old 05-02-2006, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TWP,

As I mentioned in my first post here, you have to be dealing with idiots for them to generate a big pot OOP when you open limp the button with anything and they have a very mediocre hand. So how does convincing them that you have AA when on average they have Q7o/J5s have any benefit for a $50 pot?

[/ QUOTE ]
Bluff,

You say you are not going to get married to a marginal hand in the blind, playing against an open limper on the button. What is a marginal hand? Top pair weak kicker? What is going to be your line when you flop a hand like that? Unless you are check/folding a hand as strong as top pair HU, then you are going to make the pot bigger when you flop one pair then if you had folded preflop. And if I can move you off of one pair easily postflop, since you will rarely have more than that, open limping can be quite profitable. Obviously only used rarely.

- TWP
Old 05-01-2006, 05:45 PM

Seems like the bias against open-limping is a carryover from limit and tournament no limit. Final pots are much bigger relative to the blinds in no limit, so building and winning a big pot is better than stealing the blinds 15 times (or however many times). As long as you have a significant percentage advantage on big pots for those hands you open-limp with - and provided the stacks aren't really short and big pots aren't rare - open-limping can be better than raising. But it is like riding a moped.

If they habitually call your button raises then let you steal most of the pots, you make so much money raising and taking that the stacks would have to be deep to make open-limping better. So if they call raises from the blinds preflop a lot and then play tight postflop, the usual strategy is better in a typical online game with 100BB buyins.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:36 PM

I do it for comedy sometimes when I'm only playing 1 or 2 tables
Old 05-02-2006, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you ever open-limp on button SH or FR? If so, why? What are you usually thinking when button does this and you are in BB with medium strength hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the blind can get stacked with just top pair and is passive enough (so you can whatever when he checks to you to take down the 2.5 bb pot), then limping with small pairs and 68o doesnt seem awful. It def sucks to raise with a small pair and get reraised out of hte pot by the blind when he has a big hand... that's why I sometimes open-limp button with small pairs if the guy is passive/predictable enough.