Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2006, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Some objections to AC

[ QUOTE ]
You honestly don't believe that when the government catches a burglar, rapist or serial killer and imprisons him, it prevents recidivous crimes?

[/ QUOTE ]
For some it may, for others it won't.

[ QUOTE ]
You don't believe that the threat of being imprisoned by the government prevents crime?

[/ QUOTE ]
To some extent, of course. Negative consequences will influence the behavior of others. I don't know where this is coming from since I said nothing about doing away with jails/prisons.

[ QUOTE ]
And I've pointed out what I believe to be the biggest flaws in the article in my OP. Now defend it.

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem of free-riding was discussed in TMoND. Are you sure you read the whole thing?

Also, your OP mentions externalities caused by pollution. How that is solved is by having a stronger enforcment of property rights. Pollution likely damages property and unless it is the owner of the pollutants' property, someone's property has been damaged and they have cause for a lawsuit. Right now, the government weakens your property rights by allowing some plants to spew pollutants in arbitrary amounts and get away with it. Under AC, they'd have to either negotiate some kind of deal with those who would be affected by the pollution or find another way to get rid of it.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know where this is coming from since I said nothing about doing away with jails/prisons.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said the government doesn't prevent crime. The government is who currently apprehends and imprisons criminals.

[ QUOTE ]
The problem of free-riding was discussed in TMoND. Are you sure you read the whole thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking of the article Borodog linked to in response to my post. It didn't say anything about free riding. If that is not the article, please link again. There are too many posts in the long thread for me to search through them looking for the link.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You said the government doesn't prevent crime.

[/ QUOTE ]
My mistake. The government prevents crime to some extent, but it also creates it by outlawing things like drugs, prostitution, and gambling.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking of the article Borodog linked to in response to my post. It didn't say anything about free riding. If that is not the article, please link again. There are too many posts in the long thread for me to search through them looking for the link.

[/ QUOTE ]
Beware, it's a little long
Ctrl+F and enter whatever you're looking for in the article.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
My mistake. The government prevents crime to some extent, but it also creates it by outlawing things like drugs, prostitution, and gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like silly logic. By that same logic, you could eliminate all crime by simply decriminalizing theft, rape and murder.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This seems like silly logic. By that same logic, you could eliminate all crime by simply decriminalizing theft, rape and murder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you could eliminate 'crime' if we government recogntion of an act as crime made that act a crime. But I don't think anyone really beleives that all government laws are just. BC, I think, was merely pointing out that while government might stop certain types of crimes, it also unjustly makes actions that ought not be crimes, into crimes.
Obviously this objection only has weight if one believes in self-ownership, but luckily I think most people believe in one's right to own themselves.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't possibly think that drugs, prostitution and gambling are analagous to theft, rape and murder.

The first three things involve voluntary exchanges of goods. The latter do not.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying the market isnt' coercive?

[/ QUOTE ]

How can a free market be coercive?
Old 05-01-2006, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How can a free market be coercive?

[/ QUOTE ]
The examples are endless. A doctor will be forced to do what is in the insurance companies best interest instead of the patients. A "security force" may be forced to work for the highest bidder. The poor will be forced to steal, or become "slaves". The ethical will be forced to pay for the slack of those that don't wish to be forced to pay for the slackers

Here is a question. What would you say to an AC society that outlawed usury and VC, or that "forced consumerism" from free-loaders and people that don't understand the benefits they recieve from a service merely under penalty of embargo and employment black listing?
Old 05-01-2006, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A doctor will be forced to do what is in the insurance companies best interest instead of the patients.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a doctor voluntarily enters into a contract with an insurance company, how is that you claim this doctor's actions are now being coerced by the insurance company?

[ QUOTE ]
A "security force" may be forced to work for the highest bidder.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the "security force" voluntary contracts with the highest bidder, what individual or group of indivuals has coerced this "security force" into entering this contract?

[ QUOTE ]
The poor will be forced to steal, or become "slaves".

[/ QUOTE ]

Who coerces the poor into stealing? How is someone who voluntarily enters an employment contract a "slave"?

[ QUOTE ]
The ethical will be forced to pay for the slack of those that don't wish to be forced to pay for the slackers

[/ QUOTE ]

Who coerces the "ethical" into paying anything?
Old 05-01-2006, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If a doctor voluntarily enters into a contract with an insurance company, how is that you claim this doctor's actions are now being coerced by the insurance company?

[/ QUOTE ] Is medical school free now? I don't see how this doctor can do anything but work. A large portion of potential positions will be working for insurance companies.

[ QUOTE ]
If the "security force" voluntary contracts with the highest bidder, what individual or group of indivuals has coerced this "security force" into entering this contract?

[/ QUOTE ] Us for setting up the society to act in this fashion.

[ QUOTE ]
Who coerces the poor into stealing?

[/ QUOTE ] Maslov.

[ QUOTE ]
How is someone who voluntarily enters an employment contract a "slave"?

[/ QUOTE ] Think sweatshops.

[ QUOTE ]
Who coerces the "ethical" into paying anything?

[/ QUOTE ] Free loaders, the uniformed, and the greedy/intelligent.