Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Should I be raising this? $540 Venetian

[ QUOTE ]
lead that turn he raises it a lot then flat call and lead river line is strong but gets lots of calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's in position. I'm not sure what the turn/river is, but I don't think is bad at all. when are you raising, and what does it accomplish? yeah, check-calling 3 streets sucks, but when he's in position and the guy is betting pretty strong (and is a theoretically good internet pro, who can probably fold an overpair to a turn or river raise), I think calling down is standard.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lead that turn he raises it a lot then flat call and lead river line is strong but gets lots of calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's in position. I'm not sure what the turn/river is, but I don't think is bad at all. when are you raising, and what does it accomplish? yeah, check-calling 3 streets sucks, but when he's in position and the guy is betting pretty strong (and is a theoretically good internet pro, who can probably fold an overpair to a turn or river raise), I think calling down is standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, just to be clear, the flop is the only street I could see raising unless any of those "brick" cards made Villain a plausible two pair (in which case they wouldn't be bricks). I know it feels weird, but I like OP's line. AA is good against a river shove like 2% of the time.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:17 PM

I understand your reasons for not raising anywhere, but this is one of those spots where overthinking things probably cost you a lot of value.

Let me make it simple: you have a set in a donkament. Find a way to play for stacks.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand your reasons for not raising anywhere, but this is one of those spots where overthinking things probably cost you a lot of value.

Let me make it simple: you have a set in a donkament. Find a way to play for stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly, villain probably has an overpair and you got only half his stack.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT Raise flop or turn
Old 06-02-2007, 01:48 PM

But even if I raise flop or turn, could I possibly have gotten more from an overpair? I got like 4.5k from him by letting him bet into me the entire way, right?

If I raise flop or turn and keep firing, this guy was going to be able to fold an overpair. Straights weren't very likely for either of us, and I think raising and continuing to fire was going to screeaaaammmm set. There were literally no cards in his range to make 2 pair, so he pretty much either had a.) over-cards or b.) a pair, which could be a higher set or an over-pair.

So if I raise, he's definitely folding over-cards and I get [censored] from him. If I raise he can also get away from an over-pair. If he has an over-set, I'm getting stacked.

The way I played it, I saved myself from an over-set, and I really felt I got the max value, or close to, from an over-pair, and ABSOLUTELY got max-value from over-cards.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:19 PM

i'm 50/50 between raising the turn to 3000 and jamming the river.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a donkament is one hting, but he calls him a "young internet pro"
now there's a pretty wide range of skill among "young internet pros" but I don't think it's an awful assumption that he folds an overpair to a raise on the turn or river.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:41 PM

i agree once we call the flop that just calling on the turn and river sounds reasonable, but shouldn't THAT be a reason to raise the flop? i think we have to give him a chance to go broke. make it 1500 on the flop and bet 3k on the turn, shove river.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:08 PM

dude jam river, he'll never expect it!