Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How much?
$1,000 37 16.97%
$2,000 41 18.81%
$3,000 24 11.01%
$4,000 13 5.96%
$5,000 48 22.02%
$7,000 55 25.23%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2007, 02:10 AM

Default Re: Exodus Story In Doubt

[ QUOTE ]
and btw baal worhip is very well documented

[/ QUOTE ]
So is the Red Sea. That doesn't mean it was parted by nostril-wind.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So is the Red Sea. That doesn't mean it was parted by nostril-wind.

[/ QUOTE ]

? . I don't get your meaning. let me give you an example. when the US was founded it was founded on biblical principles which were written into the constitution, such as gold and silver coin, just weights and balances, for currency. We've rejected that and switched over to fiat money, unjust weights and balances, which btw is one of the ten planks of the communist manifesto.

So we had a choice to make and we made it.

a lot of the old testament is about the people not following god and choosing for example to worship baal via a golden calf and all that went along with that. a lot of the prophets were railing against this departure from god and the bad consequences taht were coming because of it.

see what I'm getting at? whether parting of the red sea was literal or not doesn't affect us today, but choosing what system we have and what individual choices we make definitely does matter.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:01 AM

To add some clarification and information to this rather insalubrious tale it should be known by all that doubt about the Exodus Story, including the existence of that tall man with the stately rod, named Moses, as been around for much longer than our good Dr. Sklansky as indicated. For example, Voltaire in his witty and worthwhile tome titled Philosophical Dictionary, first printed in 1764, cased doubt and aspersions on the whole of the Exodus story and the existence of Moses. The former, part of a whole essay and the latter regulated to a marvelous footnote within it. “Who then was this Moses who was unknown to the whole world until a Ptolemy had the curiosity to have the writings of the Jews translated into Greek.”

Or take this curious note from a more modern source, the Encyclopedia Britannica (1958 edition)
“ No certain reference to these events [in Exodus] has yet been discover in Egyptian records, unless, with Josephus and a few modern scholars, e.g. Hall, we regard the story as an account of the expulsion of the Hyksos, seen from the Asiatic side. “

However, these points will be glossed over in the coming tirades, rancor and foul loathing that will soon descend on this thread like the Red Sea did on the Egyptians.

Which is too bad because this thread has the beginnings of being an excellent exchange. It is not too late to rescue it from the dung heap of rancor and silliness. But I have little hope in this direction.

-Zeno
Old 08-06-2007, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

But I am more interested what you would say

[/ QUOTE ]

I said I would be in trouble if you proved exodus is false. I'm not going to respond to and endless series of hypotheticals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you are referring to the "entire episode" - from the selling of Joseph to the Ishmaelites (Midianite Traders) until the time Joshua finally takes the whole tribe of troublemakers into the Promised Land.

-Zeno
Old 08-06-2007, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I assume you are referring to the "entire episode"

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I'm referring to the Bible. If want to go on a fishing expedition my standard "Bible errors and contradictions" rules apply.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Voltaire in his witty and worthwhile tome titled Philosophical Dictionary, first printed in 1764, cased doubt and aspersions on the whole of the Exodus story and the existence of Moses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean to say witless?

[ QUOTE ]

The famous French philosopher Voltaire, who died in 1778 boasted that Christianity would be swept from existence within 100 years. Instead,Voltaire has passed into history, while the Christian faith continues to increase all over the world. And in one of those small ironies of history, Voltaire's house, only 50 years after his death, became the home of the Geneva Bible Society, who used Voltaire's press to print Bibles.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-06-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I said I would be in trouble if you proved exodus is false.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably impossible unless you specify which part or parts of the story must be disproved and the definition of acceptable evidence as disproof, etc. So the whole exercise is of dubious worth in my opinion. Besides this, it casts doubts on your own faith so I am skeptical as to the sincerity of your proposition. After all you believe in the existence of an invisible flaming sword somewhere out in the sands and rocks of Iraq, still guarding the Tree of Life.

-Zeno
Old 08-06-2007, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If want to go on a fishing expedition my standard "Bible errors and contradictions" rules apply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Goggle for the truth. Not bad.

-Zeno
Old 08-06-2007, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you mean to say witless?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]
The famous French philosopher Voltaire, who died in 1778 boasted that Christianity would be swept from existence within 100 years. Instead,Voltaire has passed into history, while the Christian faith continues to increase all over the world. And in one of those small ironies of history, Voltaire's house, only 50 years after his death, became the home of the Geneva Bible Society, who used Voltaire's press to print Bibles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely irrelevant. But I suspect that you enjoy the attention more than proving any point. And speaking of witless, that describes your response more than anything else in my opinion. Voltaire is worth reading for both wit and appreciation of good literature. What you gain by this tack is not useful to you or the Christianity that you supposedly espouse. You are in fact an embarrassment of it rather than anything to its credit. That is my opinon anyway.

-Zeno
Old 08-06-2007, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is probably impossible unless you specify which part or parts

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that. I phrased it that way to provide a large target.

[ QUOTE ]

Besides this, it casts doubts on your own faith so I am skeptical as to the sincerity of your proposition

[/ QUOTE ]

I've made similar statements many times. I make the same statement to you. Go for it. I mean, if you're sincere in calling me insincere. Are you?