Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 04:16 AM

Default Re: David Singer

[ QUOTE ]
This is sort of loathsome--either stand up for the principle, or ignore the minor violation, don't make your appeal to the floor conditional on the strength of your hand wtf!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think the hand strength is relevant. The point is, once he suggests that the proper thing to do is kill the hand, he has given away information to his opponent about his hand strength. When he does so, he is trusting that the rule be enforced.

Put another way, his argument is not conditional on his hand strength, but on the fact that he has given information away.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:17 AM

wow,david singer is such a nit (mostly based on this, and his interview). this is definitely an angle shoot. if he had top set, he's not calling this guys hand dead. The guy was turning off a ringing phone? come on, this is [censored] nitty.

David was at my table in the 1kr and 'baller' was not my impression, more like grumpy nit (though he did gambool once open shoving 32s on the button!)

edit:

definitely no refund out of the prizepool, maybe a refund of his entry fee/rake. and if they let him play again, massive protest!
Old 07-08-2007, 04:20 AM

Details Regarding the Singer Investigation

(Information provided by Chris Hanel of ExpertInsight.net)

Steve Frezer, one of the lead floor supervisors here at the WSOP, confirmed the results of the investigation into David Singer's elimination from the tournament.

Surveillance cameras confirmed that, A) the player in question did not look at his phone, and B) his only action was to silence the phone's ringer and quickly put it back into his pocket.

The tournament staff then took the investigation one step further, and temporarily confiscated the man's phone to test whether or not it was possible for him to receive a text message, by the way in which he handled his phone. The additional test concluded that the man would have had to press three buttons in order to receive a text message.

Based on the results of the investigation, the tournament staff is standing by their ruling. Singer, who has since left the premises, is still planning to consult the Nevada Gaming Commission regarding the ruling.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:22 AM

This is angle shooting. He waited until the call was made before saying anything. If his opponent folded, David would have quietly mucked his cards and nothing would have happened. It was only because he was called that he made a big fuss.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:24 AM

Shane/Timex, I am surprised at you two.

Singer's actions are deplorable. The only reason the guy touching his phone might have influenced the hand is because Singer tried to shoot an angle and have the guy's hand killed.

These rules are in place to protect the integrity of the game. This player was not getting information via his phone but rather Singer tried to call his hand out on a technicality. It is a shame that great players and renowned players resort to bush league tactics to take the game off the felt.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is angle shooting. He waited until the call was made before saying anything. If his opponent folded, David would have quietly mucked his cards and nothing would have happened. It was only because he was called that he made a big fuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he made a motion to the dealer that the action with the phone was out of line, then the player called, then David had the floor called. What he said when he originally motioned is unclear, though.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:30 AM

Cmon, a guy pulls a phone out, looks at it and pushes a button. It doesn't matter if he's getting texted or not. What's singer supposed to think? Look at it from his perspective. He doesn't know what the guy is doing. And he trusts that what he is doing is enough to kill his hand when he points this out. Otherwise he's not going to give info away like that.

I'm not saying Singer is right, just that angling isn't the right word for it either. He believed that the rules were pretty clear. He had a hand killed already because of it.

Edit:

[ QUOTE ]
Surveillance cameras confirmed that, A) the player in question did not look at his phone

[/ QUOTE ]

Awwww, ok. So Singer probably knew the guy wasn't actually cheating or anything, but he still has to think it's against the rules when just having a phone on the table kills a hand.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:32 AM

Ive played with singer twice now and he is a hardcore rule [censored]. He flipped out on a dealer once when I tried to raise to 275 or something preflop and only 250 made it pass the line on the table. The dealer said 275 and he flipped cause it "should" have been 250. Anyways, I wouldnt be the least bit suprised if he said the same thing if he had top set here. I really dont think hes trying to angle shoot but he does love to make sure even the most retarded rules are enforced.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:33 AM

He's an ex-Lawyer isn't he? It's in his blood
Old 07-08-2007, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shane/Timex, I am surprised at you two.

Singer's actions are deplorable. The only reason the guy touching his phone might have influenced the hand is because Singer tried to shoot an angle and have the guy's hand killed.

These rules are in place to protect the integrity of the game. This player was not getting information via his phone but rather Singer tried to call his hand out on a technicality. It is a shame that great players and renowned players resort to bush league tactics to take the game off the felt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, I agree with most of this, except for the fact that according to the way the rule had been enforced throughout the entire Series, and the letter of the rule, the man's hand was dead.

There was never any distinction made between people who were using their phones for innocent actions like silencing the ringer vs. potentially problematic ones like receiving text messages. They said that if you touched your phone during a hand, your hand was dead. One time, a dealer tried to have my hand declared dead even though I stepped away from the table (abiding by the rules) in order to use it, totally complying.

Really, in this case, the dealer should have declared the hand dead and/or called the floor over and/or AS SOON AS the guy touched his phone--that's how the rule had been administered throughout the entire WSOP. If the dealer and floor had done their job with consistency, there wouldn't be room for any potential angle or any debate related to it.