Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Poor Lavar

Hmm, my parents both ride motorcycles, with my sister and I as passengers, and we've never been close to an accident.

To all the "motorcycles are so dangerous" crowd. What evidence do you have that safe motorcycling (reasonable speed, awareness, proper safety equipement such as long clothing and helmets), is more dangerous than any other activity?
Old 06-18-2007, 04:40 PM

^^evidence?? i'll say i don't have access to any stats, but imo, i would think that in a typical accident, i would rather want to be in a car than in a motorcycle...and accidents can occur despite the safety measures taken by the cyclist (ex, idiot drivers)...

bash me if my logic is stupid, but accidents will happen, i'd rather be in a car when they do...
Old 06-18-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, my parents both ride motorcycles, with my sister and I as passengers, and we've never been close to an accident.

To all the "motorcycles are so dangerous" crowd. What evidence do you have that safe motorcycling (reasonable speed, awareness, proper safety equipement such as long clothing and helmets), is more dangerous than any other activity?

[/ QUOTE ]

Per mile traveled in 1998, a motorcyclist is approximately 16 times more likely to die in a crash than an automobile occupant. And 3x (times) as likely to be injured.

web page

For every 100 million miles traveled, 1.9 automobile drivers died in an accident compared with 36.5 motorcyclists.

web page

these numbers would go down if everyone wore a helmet. but they don't. and it would still be far more dangerous than driving.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:48 PM

Washingtonpost.com is reporting that Arrington has broken bones in his leg and arm and has no life-threatening injuries.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:49 PM

Yeah a quick search yielded that in '98, per mile driven, you were 3x more likely to be injured while driving a motorcycle then when driving a car and 16x more likely to be killed.

I think if you are a trained and responsible driver, you aren't all that much more likely to end up having an accident then someone driving a car... its just that if you have an accident, it is much more serious.

/edit I was quoting the same site that KBZ linked, not stealing his stats!
Old 06-18-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and FWIW motorcycle crash rates are heavily skewed by the crotch-rocket type of bikes, on which the statistical rate of accident is around 100% over a ten-year span or something, it's quite possible to ride a normal bike safely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be off-base, but I think the crotch-rocket type of bikes are the kinds that alot of these athletes are riding...
Old 06-18-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Washingtonpost.com is reporting that Arrington has broken bones in his leg and arm and has no life-threatening injuries.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm

[ QUOTE ]

It looks as though he broke a bone in his arm and a couple in his leg. All of these injuries are non-life threatening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awfully close isn't it TD?

Apparently your roommate claims you had zero excuses other then catching that one episode of "Unwrapped" on FoodTv you missed last season.

???

fyc
Old 06-18-2007, 05:03 PM

I'm not arguing that if you get in an accident on a motorcycle you'll be more likely to be more injured. That I understand. But I got the impression people were saying being on a motorcycle allows for a greater chance for an accident.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not arguing that if you get in an accident on a motorcycle you'll be more likely to be more injured. That I understand. But I got the impression people were saying being on a motorcycle allows for a greater chance for an accident.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you are saying kyro. The real problem is that most people are bad at driving cars and motorcycles. Cars are slightly more forgiving then motorcycles. I think that more training or schooling on riding a motorcycle is needed then driving a car. I would just be curious how many hours of training/riding guys like Jason Williams, Kellen Winslow, and Lavar Arrington had before there accidents.

Up for another discussion, but I have been in accidents in cars and been forced (or by choice) got right back in as cars have always been a major source of transportation for me. I wonder how many people get in a motorcycle accident (severe, close call, or whatever) actually get back on that bike; if ever.

fyc
Old 06-18-2007, 05:21 PM

winslow was popping wheelies when he got into his accident. oops.

also, arrington wasn't under contract to any team, so if his previous contract said "no motorcycles, fool", it's irrelevant.