Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 11:49 PM

Default Re: religion issue with my son

[ QUOTE ]
tiger woods daddy bathed him in the blood of sheep, try that.

[/ QUOTE ]

what a 1337zor
Old 01-04-2007, 11:53 PM

Jordie-

The line that people give about the bi-racial child having problems is just a signal of their own racist feelings. All kids deal with a few issues here and there. I wouldn't worry about it (really).

I think you should have your son baptized in a Baptist or other Protestant church sooner than later. Once he hits age three or four, it might freak him out being in a strange place with the whole congregation watching.

If you go the Catholic route, I predict they will want you to jump through many hoops while telling you what a bad person you are (sorry Catholics). I think you'd get a much warmer reception at a Protestant denomination. They shouldn't try to rope you into a bunch of classes or anything.

On a side note don't feel like religion has to suck or that it can't mesh with your life. Definitley a little tougher to fit in when you're 23 but it gets easier. You don't have to attend all the time or be some right-wing nutjob to be a Christian. Just acknowledging to yourself that there is a higher power should make life much easier for you IMO.

Cliff's notes: Some people are racists. Get kid baptized in Protestant church. Christianity need not suck.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:53 PM

just raise him unitarian or something if you really feel you need to give him some jesus. it's not like it's gonna matter unless he wants to go into politics or maybe if you live in the deep south. but if you live in the deep south he's kinda screwed anyway.

recap, anything's fine long as you make sure he doesn't end up taking religion seriously
Old 01-04-2007, 11:55 PM

I'll actually give you a serious response:

If you're not religious, don't bother with the baptism. He's your son, and it's nobody else's business as to whether you have him baptised or not. They'll get over it eventually.

And what does him being of mixed race have to do with him needing to get baptised? Is your family racist? Are they worried that they'll just up and lynch him at some point, and want to make sure he goes to heaven when they do it?
Old 01-05-2007, 12:05 AM

Form a cult just for mixed-race couples and their children. When you get enough followers you can tell them your son is the messiah and he'll score some serious tail when he gets older.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:05 AM

So you're not religious. That's fine. You should be proud that you're thinking for yourself, and you should encourage your son to do so as well. Don't let your mother's beliefs rule your life and your son's too.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:22 AM

nooo they just think that it will be tough for him because he is mixed, they just think its the way it was in the early days where people stuck to there own kind. they dont realize its the 21st cent and that it isnt like that. like in the movie bronx tale. my dad comes from that age as well as my mom
Old 01-05-2007, 12:25 AM

what variety of ways.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:25 AM

You should have thought about that before messing around with the gene pool!

but anyway, just make him play basketball and when he makes the nba his grandma will quickly forget all this stuff!
Old 01-05-2007, 12:27 AM

Default clear up the mixed race thing

if my son was 100% italian and i decided i didnt want him baptized my parents would think it was wrong. forget about being mixed. they think a child should have some identification with a religion. they arent saying because hes mixed he should be baptized and that will make it better.

like i said they come from the days where people stayed in their own neigborhoods and people didnt mix with marriages or anything like that. one has nothing to do with the other.