Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Looking for pointers on learning to play guitar.

Learning how to read sheet music takes very little time, making it very easily worth the investment.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:36 PM

Brother,

Keep the fingernails on your flamenco hand long.

God bless,

Esteban
Old 05-14-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Learning how to read sheet music takes very little time, making it very easily worth the investment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say learning to read sheet music with proficiency takes quite a bit of time and effort. But maybe you're more gifted than others, or I'm deficient. At any rate, with a guitar simply seeing the notes on the page wouldn't always be that helpful, as they don't instruct you on which fret and which string you should use. With many songs you're going to be better served by tablature anyway. The most accessible learning method is often the best, as it decreases the likelihood of the student becoming intimidated and overwhelmed. Tabs are easy, and they clue you in to common guitar shapes and tricks that sheet music won't.

I can't really say you're wrong though. There's certainly no harm in knowing how to read sheet music. But I wouldn't make it a first priority starting out. I'd try to find out if I actually had enough talent and patience to make good sounds come out of my new instrument before I put effort into reading music.

I believe in a different approach than you though. I think the best way to learn to play guitar is to work quickly toward being able to play actual songs, so that you get a reward for your effort. The quickest way to do that is to learn to switch easily between all the basic open chords and strum with rhythm. Then add barre chords and you've got a whole world of music open to you.

I learned on a junky acoustic with such high action that the only thing I could play was open chords. After a few months of practice I already knew at least a hundred simple strumming songs and had a lot of fun playing and singing without knowing how to do anything else. I moved on to advanced picking and pentatonic scales later.

Edit: In short, get a chord book and practice basic chords till your fingers bleed. Quick way to start having fun with the guitar.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:57 AM

Well I'm probably biased because for me, sitting and going up and down a scale for hours is enjoyable. I tend to enjoy picking and solos more than chords. I agree with you though that chords are very important to a beginner, and practicing them should be a high priority.

As for reading sheet music, I agree that to read complicated sheet music proficiently and to quickly translate that into frets does take a LOT of time, but I think it is in any musician's best interest to learn how to read basic sheet music.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Brother,

God bless,

Esteban

[/ QUOTE ] Wow strong gimmick account... A+!
Old 05-14-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why not distinguish yourself by learning an instrument that less people know how to play? Like piano.

[/ QUOTE ]
Man, I would LOVE to do that, as it could pay off TONS in future/present even, but it just doesn't appeal to me enough. I have cursory knowledge of piano, and my wife can play a little. We may even get my kids lessons too.

Keyboard Hero for X360 might get me going tho. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I guess you're happy with your investment IQ89?

Also, in response to the poster who recommended learning to read sheet music: I'm sure it would be good to be able to, but from my experience most guitarists, even excellent players, don't know how. If you have a good ear and can read tabs you'll be okay without sheet music. I've never learned a song any other way than by picking it up by ear and very occasionally by reading tabs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what my friend does too, but he told me I should learn the right way.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:18 AM

Guitar Hero will help you some with dexterity and finger strength, but not too much else.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Brother,

God bless,

Esteban

[/ QUOTE ] Wow strong gimmick account... A+!

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

OP: depends on your nature

I for one, am an unmotivated guitarist, so I do not read notes, nor do I know any music theory. That said, if you give me some tabs, I can pretty much memories the song, and play it.

I honestly see no reason for notes, unless you are into playing stuff you have never seen/heard before.

Here are my tips if you play rock:
[*]Buy used equipment if you are short on money. [*]Don't get a sheetty amp or guitar. [*]Learn to use all 4 fingers when playing (not just index and ring). If you can't use your middle and pinky finger effectively you will be very handicapped when trying to play solos. [*]Learn to pick in alternate directions[*] practice by trying to play challenging solos @ a slow pace. I remember when I first started playing PF's Comfortably Numb, I began sweep picking naturally @ a certain part despite never having learned the technique. [*] if you want a teacher, make sure he will teach you what you want, not what he wants. [*]never, ever play country music.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:22 AM

TY for the responses; I will address a few of them.

1. I have Guitar Hero 2, which is a good portion of why I want to learn. Also, I sing and have been asked to be in numerous bands, and learning to play guitar would be beneficial, ( plus would give me something to do with myself onstage...self-consciousness sux).
1a. I disagree on GH2 and Guitar skills being mutally exclusive. I had a friend over who plays guitar, who had never played the game, and in under 90 minutes he was 4 starring mediums.
2. I am planning on playing 95% rock/pop type stuff, if that matters.
3. I am probably planning on getting both an acoustic and electric guitar, however since I have a penchant for getting into something then getting bored of it in a few months, I'm not sure how I much I wanna invest in it. Otherwise, while I'm not spending 5k on a guitar, $$$ isn't really a concern.
4. Are any of the "for Dummies" guitar books any good? I like the series and was mulling over either Guitar FD or Rock Guitar FD. Once I become better versed, I will likely be supporting the guitar industry much as I do the gambling and atheism book industry.
5. From what I see in this thread, it appears with my flakiness about things that don't come easy, I may be better served taking dilz's advice; I am definitely an instant gratification kinda guy, and seeing some early results of any kind will likely keep me interested longer. If I was Daniel-san, those cars would still be dirty, the fence wouldn't be painted, his deck would be stubbly, and I'd be getting my ass kicked on a regular basis.

Ty for all your responses. Will post some soundclips if I ever get anything worthwhile.