Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2006, 04:02 AM

Default Re: Going broke with 1 pair

how about if you three bet the flop...fold to a push or any other resistance. Block bet the turn, check river. thoughts?
Old 07-20-2006, 04:19 AM

I like a 3-bet on the flop when min-raised to make it $15 or so. He'll usually fold there if he doesn't have a good hand or raise if he does. And I'm happy with winning that amount. It also lets me get away from the hand when I'm beat.

This will lose value from bluffers and lower kickers unfortuantly, but it makes sure you are not playing for stacks when you may very well be way behind.

As played on the flop call, turn is difficult. I think you need to decide before you call if you are willing to play for stacks on a wet board like that if you read him as super agro. If so just push the turn else fold. I don't like a call on the turn either.

As played up to the river, I can't see how you can fold to a shortie with those pot odds.

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop, min-raise usually means TPTK not good... So I'd fold to his raise, or call the flop bet, but fold to the turn bet. Villain really seems to like his hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

It often means they might be trying to steal if they've had success with it before. They could be trying to steal with a semi-bluff like a fd, gutshot, lower pair, lower kicker, etc. There's not way I lay down this hand to a min-raise.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:52 AM

So for a $14 investment into a $7 pot Villain makes 2p2 fold TPTK? That seems so disastrously exploitable given that 2p2 is cbetting the flop with such a wide range...is that ok cos most Villains aren't actually exploiting?
Old 07-20-2006, 07:25 AM

Mini check-raise on flop, 1/2 pot turn and only a small bet to call on end. You will see a worse ace or even a draw so often here that no way can I find a fold. Nicely played.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:48 AM

i think the way this hand played out most people here couldnt get away from it. I would play it nearly the same
Old 07-20-2006, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop, min-raise usually means TPTK not good

[/ QUOTE ]

This is opponent-dependant. It could easily be a draw or a marginal made hand tryi g to see where it's at. But you can't say that TPTK is usually not good here.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:41 AM

Bearing in mind villain started with only 60 BBs, I think I'd play this the same. The only difficult street is the turn in my view, as AQ is a very plausible hand for him to check/raise the flop with. However, I'd still put his likeliest holding as an ace with a worse kicker and call (I think I could find a fold if he started with 100BB).

River is a very easy call since you now have the nut two pair and are getting great odds.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:49 AM

if this is a set its great pot management by villain
Old 07-20-2006, 08:51 AM

Shove the turn. You're calling a bet on a blank river anyways, and villain does not have air here (and if he did, he wouldn't bluff the river, so just calling doesn't induce any bluffs). I think villain's too short to seriously consider folding, plus he might easily be on a draw.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:41 AM

I just reraise him AI on the flop , he only has like 22 left and was only playing with about 1/2 stack PF. If you are gonna just call down his stack anyways why not just get it all in on the flop?