Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 12:42 AM

Default Re: top set, terrible board, 250 BB 5/10

[ QUOTE ]
anything but calling seems terrible

[/ QUOTE ]

To those who advocate raising;

With these stack sizes it's awkward. Any raise makes me pot commited, and anything but a min-raise will likely only get called by a better hand, which most likely doesn't call, but instead shoves, which sucks.

The only hand that might call a raise that I beat is JJJ and AK. I'd rule out KK since I three bet him from the button and in that spot KK usually re-raises, but it's not impossible and would likely give me action if I raise the flop, but AK and KK are more unlikely given the action and the fact that three aces are accounted for.

Calling prevents the above, but also let's a club or a Q or T fall, but why are we protecting from that happening against an OOP player who check-minraised that board? Why would a straight forward player check raise that flop with these stacks with a pair+ flush draw, setting himself up for getting raised off his hand?

I think this decision is closer than it appears.

Still, what range of hands are we putting him on here?

In retrospect, I suppose AxQc would check-raise this flop, figuring to have the best hand a small % of the time and having twelve outs to improve if neccessary.

And fwiw I think that AK, QQ, JJ, and TT makeup a very large % of his range preflop, but i'm not sure how much he adjusts his range preflop with these stacks, seems like him being OOP would neutralize the width of his range to some extent.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
value is vs KK, JJ, KJ, AK, AJ, AoQc

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd appreciate your analysis on this hand Baluga.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:16 AM

call of course, and against some random tourist i bump that [censored] up a lot more pre. just watch how much he's willing to put in and max it out. i've had spots like this where they open to 50 and i make it 550 and they peel with all sorts of crap if they are bad enough. no one ever understands pot size in bad live poker
Old 09-10-2007, 03:45 AM

Location: just a skinny azzzed short stacking gossip hurling trouble maker

[ QUOTE ]
call of course, and against some random tourist i bump that [censored] up a lot more pre. just watch how much he's willing to put in and max it out. i've had spots like this where they open to 50 and i make it 550 and they peel with all sorts of crap if they are bad enough. no one ever understands pot size in bad live poker

[/ QUOTE ]

idk, this [censored] might fly at bellagio but the wynn 5-10 game is probably the nittiest 5-10 on the planet, everyone sits with 10k and nits it up (as far as the live regs go)

225 or 250 does seem more reasonable preflop though, we call there is 1400 in the middle and we've got 1700 left, this seems like a perfect spot to just call and call most turn cards. I'd call with all 10$ chips too so the pot looks bigger and he can't get away when you turn a boat

fwiw if he's decent and straightforward and not out of line he should'nt have a hand that beats us here too often and worst case we're drawing 100% live, AND we're dominating 2 hands and never dominated ourselfves.

so call/call any non club turn and if this guy somehow had us beat on the flop it's a BBV hand
Old 09-10-2007, 05:06 AM

tx-

I think calling is the obv standard. If you think the guy will stack off w/ made flush/straight even if the board pairs, its even more of an argument for calling. If you think he's likely to slowplay flushes but fastplay sets/2pairs, i'd jack it up on the flop. I don't know, its like all semiclose decisions-- there are a ton of factors involved.

howev one thing you really need to do is raise more pf. i think you can get away with at least 200 here, don't you?

if he's not too passive, its pretty tough to ever get away from this hand.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:32 AM

call, turn?
Old 09-10-2007, 05:40 AM

This deep I agree that the flop is definitely a call.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
call, turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I shoved the flop.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:42 AM

I really find it diffcult to put him on a hand that beats u.

1) a flush..? the only broadway flush is QTc, 67c 89c ? I don't see him riasing 50 and calling a reraise with that. If u say he is a straightfoward tourist. tourist aren't creative enough to raise with those hands.

2) straight..he must have QT..I don't see him raise with that and calling another raise. and then to go for a check raise that small...retarded.

while AK JJ KK QQc AJ AQc are far more likely in his range.

BTW u'r really not that deep after that flop minraise, like a pot size reraise is basically all in for u.

results plz?
Old 09-11-2007, 02:43 AM

and [censored]..even if he did have flush or straight. In that tiny range..u still have very good equity.