Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Minorities and their pride

It's not just about discrimination, or at least not the commonly seen most negative sense of the word. Part of being a minority is that you get stereotyped to some degree - you are pigeonholed into what observers consider a "standard" archetype for your race. This isn't blatant racism, but maybe just a subtle mindset. It's always nice to see people of your race achieve, and especially achieve in areas outside of the norm. This causes people to look upon that race either as successful or more versatile than previously thought. So when they look at you, they think of good images in regards to your ethnicity as opposed to negative. Everyone (not just bigots) is pre-judging you based on your appearance. Obviously, the extent to which this colors their final opinion of you is extremely variable, but I'd rather that image be a positive one. White people are such a dominant majority that their race isn't often looked at as a determining factor in first impressions. Instead, it's going to be things like how they are dressed, if they are overweight, etc.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think the "pride" that comes from things like this is comical.

You're rooting for people you don't even know (and normally wouldn't even care about), just because they have something in common with you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there is a good chance that they may be related:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/2/8/214236/6651

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2007, 06:02 PM

I feel the same way about my mountain white trash heritage.

Whenever I see someone doing something successful and they are a snaggle-toothed stringy-haired white trash loser with faded ring on their back pocket from the long-term storage of a chewing tobacco tin, well it just warms my heart and makes me feel proud.

GO KID ROCK! YOU ARE THE MAN!

Even better if they are part of an apocalyptic-minded christian cult.

natedogg
Old 02-25-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know many people in the Vietnamese community do shady stuffs to get to where they are right now but I have a hard time “hating” their styles, especially when we don’t have wicked jump-shots and we ain’t slinging crack rock either because we don’t want to get send back to Vietnam. But no matter what they do (besides killing/empting saving accounts obviously), I don’t have a problem with them. In fact, I’m damn proud of whatever they’ve accomplished so far.

[/ QUOTE ]
So its ok for Vietnamese to do "shady stuffs" just because you're Vietnamese?
My g-parents came to this country 60 years ago from eastern europe. They held people from their country to a higher standard so that they would fit into American culture and not bring shame onto their nationality. In the past 10-15 years there has been another big influx of people from the "homeland" and some of them are doing "shady stuffs". Their behaviour is criticized and looked down upon. No excuses are made because of where they come from. Cultural difference perhaps? I don't know. Any thoughts?
Old 02-25-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 02-25-2007, 08:02 PM

I'm not really sure I feel the same way as you do. I think it really depends on the environment your brought up in and those who you associate with.

I grew up in FL and then Nebraska. Neither of which have a large asian population (I'm Chinese) and I really can't relate with many asians. I have very few asian friends and the majority of my friends are white.

I can sort've agree when you say that you'll root for Yao or whatever because he's asian (my parents do alot). But IMO, thats only because whites are a heavy majority in the United States. If you look 100 years ago when the United States was still fairly diverse in regards to people being 100% Irish/German/French/Chinese/spanish/Italian/etc (and not so mixed as today), you can still see plenty of 'pride' for your race.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
we don’t have wicked jump-shots and we ain’t slinging crack rock

[/ QUOTE ]

great movie

[/ QUOTE ]

Shee-it, it's hard bein' young, from the slums, eatin' five-cent gums, wonderin' where ya next meal's comin' from...

Makes me wanna grab the nine and the shottie.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SH,

The most surprising thing to me about your post is that you seem to also get a lot of pride when other Asians like Chinese do well. I've found that most of my Vietnamese/Korean/Chinese etc. have a lot of pride in their ethnicity, but don't identify very much with other Asian ethnicities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other Asians I know just generalize to Asian, as opposed to their race in particular. This one Chinese girl I knew was complaining about the way the US treated Japanese during WW2. I said to her, "You do realize that China was at war with Japan during the same time period, don't you?" She said it didn't matter, Asians have to stick together.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:55 PM

im pretty sure the way the japs treated the chinese, or vice versa was pretty awful
Old 02-25-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im pretty sure the way the japs treated the chinese, or vice versa was pretty awful

[/ QUOTE ]

don't you mean the "chinks"? of you're going to use slurs, use them all.