Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 12:19 PM

Default Re: wanting to become a cop

How will it work if you are undercover trying to bring down the local drug ring and your ex dealer recognizes you during a deal and shouts "YO, this mother [censored] is a cop. Blast his ass..." or something like that and then it's 187 on an undercover cop...
Old 07-19-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on the agency you'd be applying to. You'd probably have more luck in smaller town type areas but I can't say for sure.

Gotta be able to get into it though for what it is. I was a criminal justice major and intended to go into law enforcement. Did a two month internship with the state capitol's CID/county detectives. Had an absolute ball for those two months, went back to school and completely changed my focus from law enforcement to business analysis.

Cops are for the most part great guys/girls, but you've gotta realize that for the most part these are people that see the worst side of people as their profession. In my two months, I:
- Oversaw two autopsies, one being a guy who either blew his head off or had his head blown off by his g/f playing a f**ked up sex game.
- Collected evidence implicating a man accused of having multiple sexual partners in their early teens at his house.
- Oversaw a house being stormed by CRT (like SWAT) to clear it after they'd picked up a guy who had multiple machine guns who threw his g/f out of his house yelling that she should get the cops cause he's gonna kill 'em all.
- Participated in a "street-walker" raid where they went rounding up dozens of the $20 hookers.

Etc. When you see so much ugliness, you take one a very cynical view of the world. You're not seeing the good in people anymore, you're wondering about the worst in people. It's like that with every cop I've ever known, and I've known and am still friends with quite a few.

Good luck to you!

- C -

[/ QUOTE ]

This word, I do not think it means what you think it means.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why become a cop....get beat up when you were in grade school? Need for revenge?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking more along the lines of having a noble profession and being able to help people in need. Not everybody is a jackass like yourself.

FWIW I wanted to be a cop for a long time and just ended up changing my focus. One of my best friends had been involved in the local "Explorer" program since he was like 12 or something and did all the ride-alongs and everything. Took him a little under a year after he got his degree to get a job with a local department here in MN. From what I hear he loves his job, and he hasn't gotten jaded to it yet. Good luck with the recovery from drugs, OP. It may hurt you, but if you show that you're dedicated and clean, you'll still have a chance.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why become a cop....get beat up when you were in grade school? Need for revenge?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking more along the lines of having a noble profession and being able to help people in need. Not everybody is a jackass like yourself.

FWIW I wanted to be a cop for a long time and just ended up changing my focus. One of my best friends had been involved in the local "Explorer" program since he was like 12 or something and did all the ride-alongs and everything. Took him a little under a year after he got his degree to get a job with a local department here in MN. From what I hear he loves his job, and he hasn't gotten jaded to it yet. Good luck with the recovery from drugs, OP. It may hurt you, but if you show that you're dedicated and clean, you'll still have a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to go to a police acedemy to become a cop?
Old 07-19-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't have to go to a police acedemy to become a cop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Say hello to Mahoney for me.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:39 PM

lol what? The dude from Frasier?
Old 07-19-2007, 01:59 PM

jordie,

I'm curious to see how tempting drugs would be as a cop w/r/t their accessibility and drug testing policies. I'm thinking Bad Lieutenant, and also suzzler once relayed a story on these boards about an LA cop being a huge coke user.

If you have specific questions you may want to PM user ItalianFX, he is a cop in PA and has been doing it for a year or so.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No expert here, but your chance for success prolly depends on whether you're applying to become good cop or bad cop.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL
Old 07-19-2007, 02:02 PM

I don't know about the american laws. I know for here (canada) that if you had ever smoked weed they would find out at the polygraph and you would fail. I heard of a few people here went to school and everything applied and failed the poly because they puffed at a younger age.

Maybe if you apply to some small hike town they won't care, good luck.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol what? The dude from Frasier?

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember the police academy movies?!?!