Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Re: LLNL in Los Angeles

[ QUOTE ]
Also one thing that works in getting a bigger stack is sitting in one game, and when you ask for chips get an extra hundred or whatever. Then sit and immediately ask for a table change. Take the extra chips out your pocket when you move. Some players may be nits but usually you can get away with it. I dunno if it's worth the trouble or if you really care about having a bigger stack that much. I've done this at Hollywood Park before. A player asked if I was coming from another game and I said yes, they asked the floor and they confirmed. Again it just depends on how serious it is to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a player I know to be good tries this, I give them a KITN. If it is an action player, I don't say a word. It isn't nitty; it is an intentional angle to circumvent a house rule that everyone else has to follow. I'd kick you in the nuts.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also one thing that works in getting a bigger stack is sitting in one game, and when you ask for chips get an extra hundred or whatever. Then sit and immediately ask for a table change. Take the extra chips out your pocket when you move. Some players may be nits but usually you can get away with it. I dunno if it's worth the trouble or if you really care about having a bigger stack that much. I've done this at Hollywood Park before. A player asked if I was coming from another game and I said yes, they asked the floor and they confirmed. Again it just depends on how serious it is to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a player I know to be good tries this, I give them a KITN. If it is an action player, I don't say a word. It isn't nitty; it is an intentional angle to circumvent a house rule that everyone else has to follow. I'd kick you in the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sort of the way it works in some of the larger clubs where things are a little wilder. A loose/action/unskilled player takes a table change and if he tries to take a larger than normal buyin usually the players simply "don't notice" (and neither will I). But when a tough/skilled player does the same the table change buyin policy is generally enforced.

That said, I won't try to circumvent the rule with my own chips but with the above approach (which recognizes the realities) I want to avoid making it sound as if I'm "Holier than thou" as I may have in my other post.

~ Rick
Old 07-13-2007, 09:05 PM

crash, you can attempt to kick me in the nuts. I doubt you'd be very successful. I dunno how ethical kicking someone in the nuts is anyway, so I guess the kettle is calling the pot black.

I did it once and it didn't matter to me. The players are so bad I don't really care. I didn't feel like I was a dirty criminal and should have been thrown in jail or anything. There's a lot worse things that go on at the table.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a lot worse things that go on at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. First, you completely disregard the rules of the game and think it is normal. Then you justify by saying that other people are doing worse. Like what? Also breaking the rules of the game?

There are two kinds of people, the honest ones and the dishonest ones. I bet you also keep the extra chip from the player next to you when they accidentally count the change wrong.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How low are you trying to play? The Bike has a 40NL game. They used to have a 80NL(I think) but I'm not sure if they still do.

There are a few threads on LA games here. Check out this chart at tworags.com for some info on limits. I'm not sure how accurate it is though.

[/ QUOTE ]

are there really buy-ins that low? the link you gave shows the commerce having the same $40 min/max buy-in. Can anyone tell me if that's true?

and, if it is, is it effectively enforced? Or do people find ways to get a couple hundred on the table within 15 mins of sitting down. . . ?
Old 07-13-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There's a lot worse things that go on at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. First, you completely disregard the rules of the game and think it is normal. Then you justify by saying that other people are doing worse. Like what? Also breaking the rules of the game?

There are two kinds of people, the honest ones and the dishonest ones. I bet you also keep the extra chip from the player next to you when they accidentally count the change wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

TBH, I didn't know it was such a big deal. Like I said, I've only done it once. Since I see everyone has their little panties in a bunch I'll cease and desist. If I was wrong, fine, I won't do it again. But you, sir, are also wrong for blindly assuming that I "keep the extra chip" or whatever. You don't know me and you have never played with me, so save the assumptions. Let's get back to the original topic, and stop the hijack.

[ QUOTE ]
are there really buy-ins that low? the link you gave shows the commerce having the same $40 min/max buy-in. Can anyone tell me if that's true?

and, if it is, is it effectively enforced? Or do people find ways to get a couple hundred on the table within 15 mins of sitting down. . . ?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my early poker days I played this game at Commerce. It was a while ago and before I really got into 2p2 so I can't say if they still have it. I would assume they do but I can't say for sure.

When I played there was only 1 table going. So trying to sneak chips in would basically be impossible. But since the stacks are so short it's relatively easy with a good run of cards to turn your stack into a couple hundred since you'll have to go all-in on the flop every hand pretty much, and everyone that loses just keeps rebuying. Conversely, you could lose that stack pretty quickly in this game too.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How low are you trying to play? The Bike has a 40NL game. They used to have a 80NL(I think) but I'm not sure if they still do.

There are a few threads on LA games here. Check out this chart at tworags.com for some info on limits. I'm not sure how accurate it is though.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I put that chart together have since updated it here...

LA Card room comparisons

The small stakes game buy-ins are enforced, but the games often play like re-buy tournaments. It's not uncommon to sit at the table and see 4-5 guys sitting with several buy-ins because of the bet, 3-bet shove action of short stacks. Note: if anyone sees errors in the chart, PM me. It's a work in progress, last update circa mid-June 07.

Edmond
Old 07-13-2007, 11:58 PM

interesting. I'm wondering if that's actually what I want to play at or not. . . .

Thanks a lot.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:58 AM

Where's Paris Hilton? Looked all over for her
Old 07-18-2007, 07:55 PM

Does anyone have current info on the rake the Commerce, Bike, HG and Oceans pull in the baby NL games?

I thought the Commerce and Bike 1/2 40 min/max games have a $3 rake, taken as follows...50c pre-flop, $2 on the flop, 50c after the turn. Not sure about Hawaiian Gardens 1/2 20 min-max and 40 min-max games or Oceans 1/1 20-40 min-max.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Edmond