Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Stars $50 50K...turn set in multiway pot...ugly river...line check

I dunno, it just seems like you're turning it into a bluff. If you can win the pot when overs hit and you don't improve, you can almost certainly win the pot with good old fashioned aggression.
I could be way off base here, but I've never been accused of being weak tight...
Old 10-25-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Stars $50 50K...turn set in multiway pot...ugly river...line check *DELETED*

Post deleted by ssnyc
Old 10-25-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: and making it t40 - t80 pf is really bad imo.

[/ QUOTE ]Good lord, if you're going to say I am wrong, fine. It's a discussion, but back it up with some reasoning. How the hell am I supposed to get better if you just say I play bad and leave it at that?
Old 10-25-2007, 12:31 PM

The reason for raising to t160 is to cut down the field, and for value. It's a pretty standard raise I don't think it turns your hand into a bluff at all, people limp utg level 1 with a wide range of hands, it doesn't mean they have Aces / Kings.

Edit: and obv I'd raise to the same amout with anything I'm raising in this spot (i.e. 3 limpers).
Old 10-25-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Edit: and making it t40 - t80 pf is really bad imo.

[/ QUOTE ]Good lord, if you're going to say I am wrong, fine. It's a discussion, but back it up with some reasoning. How the hell am I supposed to get better if you just say I play bad and leave it at that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Brandi...no my comment so please don't be mad at me but I will try to field the question anyway...I don't see the purpose of miniraising because it will do what I was hoping to avoid...getting a huge field where my hand loses most of its non set value...either I just call and play it passive or I value raise pre...if I value raise pre my goal is to get people out...not in...anything under 100 is just a pot builder and doesnt accomplish my goal
Old 10-25-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dunno, it just seems like you're turning it into a bluff. If you can win the pot when overs hit and you don't improve, you can almost certainly win the pot with good old fashioned aggression.
I could be way off base here, but I've never been accused of being weak tight...

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely agree I was turning it a bluff...I think it was a worthwhile one as villan showed no strength and the chips in the middle were huge in relation to my stack...toss out a range for the villan if you don't mind Brandi...

[/ QUOTE ]
We're still talking pre, right? Crazy wide, 35 sooted Kx sooted, Ax off, small pairs... After your raise, likely the first caller or 2 had PPs or strong aces, but after that the other donks probably just thought OMG pot odds!? and called with 35 or whatever.
I don't mind the raise pre too much if you're playing it as a bluff/semi-bluff. I'd just expect that normally you're not going to get much action from junk hands and end up winning 90 chips. Obv I was wrong in this case.

[ QUOTE ]
the chips in the middle were huge in relation to my stack

[/ QUOTE ]

There really wasn't much in the pot before your raise...
I suggested a smallish raise to intentionally keep the limpers in and play for implied set value. That's generally a limit poker move, raising and expecting no one to fold, but you have enough equity that it's profitable even though you lose the hand most of the time. I think it's a concept lost on most NL players that it's frequently the best play to NOT narrow the field.

I'd prefer to see the flop 9 way and try to hit a set and make the isolation move with 78 or something like that.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Brandi...no my comment so please don't be mad at me but I will try to field the question anyway...I don't see the purpose of miniraising because it will do what I was hoping to avoid...getting a huge field where my hand loses most of its non set value...either I just call and play it passive or I value raise pre...if I value raise pre my goal is to get people out...not in...anything under 100 is just a pot builder and doesnt accomplish my goal

[/ QUOTE ]Does my above post explain this clearly?
Edit: not mad at you, just annoyed at the lack of content in the post contradicting me...
Old 10-25-2007, 12:58 PM

wow...i need a break...I posted the comments in the wrong hand...that whole post was for my bubble hand...disregard and I will have some morecoffee
Old 10-25-2007, 01:07 PM

Just to clarify, whatever my results or yours are, I want any of you to say so if you disagree with me. I make mistakes all the time, but we're here to help each other learn and a simple "you are wrong" doesn't help.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:09 PM

agreed...discussions have been invaluable. I do reserve to right to make sarcastic comments to certain posters in certain spots