Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Sort of poll - when to limp-call your PPs?

[ QUOTE ]
The thing about blind defense is that if you defend your blinds once or twice early in a session, people stop stealing. If you consistently lay down they will do it every single hand.

I think building a good table image is important.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is important to have a "good" table image, where "good" usually means "LAG". However, blind defense is a situation where you gain can often gain more by playing straight than losing money to developing a "good" reputation.

Most players tend to steal too rarely. This is a major tendency among players who are trying to play well. This means that the hyper-aggro blind defense works against you because you're actually lining yourself up against hands that tend to have an advantage over you (remember, you're OOP for the rest of the streets).

If you happen to be against a player who steals too often, then making him steal less often works against you. You're trying to cause him to play more correctly by stopping his steals! You're better off folding hands you don't play well because this will encourage him to play WORSE by stealing even more often!

So in either case, defending your blinds as a principle is hurting you.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:55 PM

TIGHT GAME
UTG1 and UTG2 i open raise all pocket pairs
--> tight games offer you a chance to steal the blinds from this position ... you generally wont get played back at because you EP open raise will get a lot of respect ...

however, UTG3-MP2 22-66(77) I now fold them

LOOSE
all pocket pairs are playable ... open limping with 22-66
how you play 77-TT doesn't really matter (so I don't know what all the fuss is about)

Semi Loose
pretty much the worse kind of game to raise a mid pocket up front .. you'll generall be taking the flop with 2-3 opponets (which is not desirable for mid pockets) ... limping mid pockets in this kind of game this better than raising because you'll be playing (mostly) of set value, as you'll generally get 3-6 to the flop

3 BETTING a Steal raise
with crap like 22 it's better to see the flop and play the board and your opponent ... 3betting will have you spewing chips post flop (especially when you go to show down too often)

[ QUOTE ]
I defend my blinds as a matter of principle, even if it is mathematically unsound.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK yeah ...this is pretty stupid logic ... you should be calling a lot from the big blind because you can, because it's profitable in most spots to call with any two cards. However, this depends a lot on your post flop game (and most of the time you should just fold a lot of stuff)

ALSO; what games are you playing ... I find it hard to imagine that you're getting mixed up in a game at 25c-50c that requires you to be playing a lot of junk in the blinds (if the situation isn't comming up a lot ... it's better just to fold random garbage, including small pocket pairs ... and just play ABC a routine ... )
Old 03-08-2007, 09:09 PM

BB sometime take a look at your blind defense and stealing in PT and think about your theory again.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB sometime take a look at your blind defense and stealing in PT and think about your theory again.

[/ QUOTE ]

you talking to me?
Old 03-08-2007, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you talking to me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I'm talking to BC, who I thought was BB for some reason. Regardless, he is the OP.