Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Re: $16 AQs in position deep stacks

Calling is only bad if you believe the EV of a push to be greater than the EV of playing him post flop in position with a hand that's ahead of his range. It might be, but this is opponent dependent.

I'm not saying calling is best - it won't be most of the time - but I think there are times when it might be more +EV than a push.

For example, say I know he's loose and will call with everything he raised, which includes most As, PPs, double broadway and some suited connectors, and I also know that he always minbets the flop when he misses and folds to a raise, but bets properly when he hits and will never fold to a raise.

If he's that guy, I'm not pushing and I'm not folding. There are loads of villains like this, or who are similarly exploitable in their post flop play.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling is only bad if you believe the EV of a push to be greater than the EV of playing him post flop in position with a hand that's ahead of his range. It might be, but this is opponent dependent.

I'm not saying calling is best - it won't be most of the time - but I think there are times when it might be more +EV than a push.

For example, say I know he's loose and will call with everything he raised, which includes most As, PPs, double broadway and some suited connectors, and I also know that he always minbets the flop when he misses and folds to a raise, but bets properly when he hits and will never fold to a raise.

If he's that guy, I'm not pushing and I'm not folding. There are loads of villains like this, or who are similarly exploitable in their post flop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's the sort of fishy that always calls after a raise then the push usually (if he's on a >13% range) becomes a value push instead of one that relies on fold equity.

I have trouble determining the exact species of fish I encounter so I tend not to go to war post-flop Moshman style. I like to keep it preflop and keep it simple.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's the sort of fishy that always calls after a raise then the push usually (if he's on a >13% range) becomes a value push instead of one that relies on fold equity.

I have trouble determining the exact species of fish I encounter so I tend not to go to war post-flop Moshman style. I like to keep it preflop and keep it simple.

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends exactly what is in his range - if there are relatively few weak As we may not have the equity for a push.

Lots of players can't play post flop and it's well worth knowing which ones they are - it's usually more profitable to take it down risk-free after the flop about 2/3 of the time than push with no FE.