Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2006, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Difficult QQ hand...

[ QUOTE ]
id prob call that motherfvcker.

[/ QUOTE ]

flawless 9 times out of 10 I will agree with you but I think you are off here especially given who opponent is. Wanna explain why you'd call?
Old 03-16-2006, 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
id prob call that motherfvcker.

[/ QUOTE ]

flawless 9 times out of 10 I will agree with you but I think you are off here especially given who opponent is. Wanna explain why you'd call?

[/ QUOTE ]
not really....
i have played v little nl on stars so uve prob played w/ him way more than me and are rpob better qualified to comment on the hand... obv this opp dependent (im not calling most onkline 10/20 players here.. no even considering it), but im gonna say anymore.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:57 AM

apologies didnt realise it was 8 handed. i only play the 6 max tables. there id definitely just limp as a reraise is far less frequent and so gives away you hand far greater.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:18 AM

I think you played your hand like scared Aces or scared Queens. I think he can jam here as a bluff as he has good reason, and he can also jam with the King, as he has good reason there, as well. The reason to jam with the King being that it will obviously look suspicious due to the way you've played your hand, ie: scared.

It's an ugly spot that could've been prevented with different action on earlier streets, IMO. I have no idea what to do now, though. Flip a coin? I think it's 50/50 on whether or not he has it or not. Is it possible he has Jacks and figures if you're going to call any bet there, you'll call all in?

Sidenote: I hope you called and he had K9o.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:21 AM

I just call this preflop.

As played, flop check looks good because if you bet like 400 and he calls you have no clue where you are at because he can float you easy with this board.

Might sound weak-tight, but I probably check/fold turn as played.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:23 AM

Lead turn almost certainly has to be better than check-fold turn.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:44 PM

Generally I don't like a flop check at all after 3-betting, but I understand the problem if he does like to float you and suspects your 3-betting range doesnt include AK (I'm not a fan of reraising AK that much either). It's also given that you'd have to check AK here as well if you did 3-bet, and that doesnt feel to good. Being fairly sure of the above, e.g not 3-beting AK etc, villain might, as I might, feel that shoving river with anything in this spot should be ev+.

If you do, which I don't like, check flop, you'd almost have to bet turn, otherwise, he's just gonna do exactly as he did almost everytime if hes playing a sane player. He played the hand good.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:49 PM

Ari, from most opponents POV, you defined your hand by checking the flop, calling the turn, and checking the river. So depending on how your opponent plays, you can use this to your advantage. Does he think you could fold AA/QQ here? Does he think you will stack off with a hand like this? If you don't have a read like this, I don't think it's the time to define your hand so clearly. Fwiw, this is also why it's so effective to play AK like this. As played, I lay it down, but I would have probably fired a blocking bet if I didn't know what I would do if my opponent pushed the river.
-James
Old 03-16-2006, 01:18 PM

Yeah, I talked about this with prevaricator and he had a good point where if I don't know the exact player tendency than I need to bet this turn/river and fold to a raise, i can't just keep inducing a bluff that I am not willing to call on the end. In a lot of these games against a lot of these players, I like just check/calling down because most of the time I get decent value from inferior pairs and very few have the sack to shove the river without the king.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:56 PM

I have a strong urge to call here, but I can't really elaborate- bad post, sorry

I think your 3-bet preflop is reasonable, but I would make it larger, say to 280.A good player like Curzdog will call there getting over 2 to 1 with most of the hands he would open. Also I am three betting a wide range of hands in that spot, so my RR does not necesarrily indicate a big pair.

I think you should probably be leading the turn. After you CC, what is your plan for the river? How about if a blank hits? Would you make a small block/value bet? I don't think Curz would attempt a bluff raise, but I could be mistaken.

Interesting situation.

-Jeff