Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: HODGEPODGE BRACKET 1v10
Swastika Gandhi 28 80.00%
General Robert E. Lee Smith 7 20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2006, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Free (as in speech) education?

[ QUOTE ]

If that's what you're saying, then your position is silly, because the minutest amount of government control (say, mandating that kids must learn American history) would cause your education system to be defined as non free, even though the <u>practical effects</u> of this system would be virtually identical to a completely "free" system. You're committing an all-or-nothing logical fallacy.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're committing a logical fallacy by assuming that something that isn't free is unable to have the same result as something that is. Any government involvement makes it no longer free, but depending on how the government's involved it may still work as well. In your government mandate of schools teaching American History, it's certainly unlikely to interfere tremendously, but it's also still not free. And of course, there's the fact that once you've started down that slippery slope of government involvement, there's no turning back.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:48 AM

Look at my country, Canada. The state controls the education system, and since corruption is relatively low people think it's a good idea. What does the state teach? That government is a magical bunny rabbit solving all the problems that existed before we socialized everything. Not once in my entire highschool education did anyone say taxes might be an issue. What's the result? People keep voting for larger government. And it's mandatory.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a state will lead inevitably to totalitarianism

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

And people claim that there aren't AC hijacks in this forum?
Old 07-10-2007, 05:56 AM

It's not an AC hijack if the o.p. is about A/C.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:11 AM

The topic is about education and free speech. Are you saying it is impossible to hijack an AC topic with different AC stuff? What if I start posting pictures of Monty Python's "Anarcho-Syndicalists" in every AC thread; would that be ok?

(Unfortunately, I can't find a picture of the anarcho-syndicalists. So you guys win [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )
Old 07-10-2007, 06:15 AM

I'd agree that free speech is integral not only for a free society, but for a decent education. This does not only go for state intervention in education (which is pretty ridiculous in my state of Florida), but for private schools as well. Religious schools are more likely to stifle debate on moral grounds than public schools (whether it be about evolution, moral relativism, sex, w/e). The more free speech in school, the better the educational experience, in my opinion.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:34 AM

The topic is how the state controlling public schools leads to a totalitarian country; this is an AC topic.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:11 AM

Of course, I voted NO. To even think that a child should be subject to some of the education (if you can call it that) that AC'ers would wish on them shows a total lack of respect for the child and its potential. Give me a democracy, regardless of its shortcomings, over an AC society any day, without a shadow of a doubt, given the AC arguments shown on this forum.

But not only that, you would have children restricted to AC slogans, I would not call it an economic theory, but also to all kinds of religious anti-scientific and retarded views.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:28 AM

Tell me, what education to ACers wish upon children?
Old 07-10-2007, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But not only that, you would have children restricted to AC slogans, I would not call it an economic theory, but also to all kinds of religious anti-scientific and retarded views.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you purposely trying to misinterpret what AC means to make yourself feel better about being a statist? Or was that an honest mistake?