Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 10:38 PM

Default Re: ACism and global warming

I said that because that's what I expected to see and that's what I felt adios did. But to be fair he did state he is not an ACist.

Anyway, no, I haven't made up my mind. I'd love to hear the answer. You imply that I've already gotten a satisfactory answer and I just refuse to accept it, but I really don't see it.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I said that because that's what I expected to see and that's what I felt adios did. But to be fair he did state he is not an ACist.

Anyway, no, I haven't made up my mind. I'd love to hear the answer. You imply that I've already gotten a satisfactory answer and I just refuse to accept it, but I really don't see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't think you've been given a satisfactory answer. I think the subject is complex and "the answer" is not simple. I've promised to make an OP on this very topic. It will probably be my 10,000th post.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:48 PM

Ok. I'll be on the lookout for your 10.000th post then.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that if I ask a statist what should be done about global warming, he'll have an acceptable answer ready. If I ask an ACist he will attack the statist's answer and the premise of the question, but he will not propose a solution of his own.

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is that you're still thinking with a statist mindset, where central planning is needed to "solve" the problems of the world. You're asking for blueprints. This type of mentality is totally antithetical to AC. AC doesn't do anything. People do. At best, some of us good give our wild ass guesses, but that's all they'd be and wouldn't be indicative of whether AC could "handle" an issue like global warming.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:16 AM

I'm proposing this is a problem with anarchism. There is not enough incentive for a company to reduce pollution because they get to externalize the costs of it. Kindof like government. People in a totally different part of the world, who is not a part of the company in question's market base will pay for the pollution. And companies everywhere can do the same, because they can externalize their costs in the same way.

When it comes to society being arranged more effectively and other problems that are easier to find solutions to, you are eager to tell me what will happen in ACland. I understand that that's all just qualified guessing, since you can't know what people will decide to do, but a qualified guess is what I'm looking for here.

I'm not saying central planning is needed. I'm just asking what will happen with these issues without it, and also if you (ACists) think it's ok if what I figured most likely would happen happened.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm proposing this is a problem with anarchism.

[/ QUOTE ]
I propose this is a problem with humanity regardless of the political structure.

[ QUOTE ]
There is not enough incentive for a company to reduce pollution because they get to externalize the costs of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Er, the gov't protects exactly this, while there is no gov't to protect the company in an anarchist society.

[ QUOTE ]
When it comes to society being arranged more effectively and other problems that are easier to find solutions to, you are eager to tell me what will happen in ACland. I understand that that's all just qualified guessing, since you can't know what people will decide to do, but a qualified guess is what I'm looking for here.

[/ QUOTE ]
What is the qualified guess of a 22 year old supposed to indicate? If I (or anyone else here) can't figure out a way to "solve" this problem, what does that mean? This is like an end around to an argumentum ad ignorantium. I'll readily admit that I'm not smart enough to envision how global warming could be solved in an anarchist society.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying central planning is needed. I'm just asking what will happen with these issues without it, and also if you (ACists) think it's ok if what I figured most likely would happen happened.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I could give you a plan for how something like global warming could be solved, wouldn't that be the perfect case for central planning?
Old 09-20-2007, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is not enough incentive for a company to reduce pollution because they get to externalize the costs of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a company doesn't reduce pollution, they get sued into the ground. The fun thing about air pollution is that potentially anyone who owns any patch of air has a case. This is no different than asking "how is AC going to stop vandalism?" The only reason this doesn't happen now is that the government actively protects companies from such lawsuits.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:52 AM

So as a farmer from Bangladesh in 75 years who has lost my farm and my country. Who sohuld I sue? What should I expect them to give me?
Old 09-20-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This seems like an obivous question, so I'm sure it has been asked before. I didn't have luck during my 2 minutes with the search function, though. How would ACland deal with the threat of global warming? If individuals in ACland are not fine with giving up personal comfort for the environment, does that mean doing nothing about global warming is ok and the people in Bangladesh will just have to deal with being flooded? Maybe you could point me to some article(s) about ACism and the environment.

You might say that the state isn't doing anything to stop global warming either, so it's a wash. That might be true about the US state, but maybe that's because the US is closer to ACism than most other countries. (I don't mean to say any state does enough to counter global warming, but there are certainly states doing more than what the US is doing.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess that AC land would be more reactive than proactive in the case of stopping global warming. For someone to be willing to invest enough capital into researching effective methods of dealing with global warming, there would have to be enough demand from the consumers, so it would seem that research would not start untill there was a more imminent threat or, at least, percieved threat to consumers.

I wouldn't call myself an ACist, but I do find it interesting, though I know very little about it and have not studied the subject at all. I'm sure Borodog will give a much better and more comprehensive assesment since he's good at that sort of thing and much smarter.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:34 AM

People care about global warming = market for a solution to global warming = AC Solution to global warming.

If something is demanded by a lot of people either the market will provide it computers, fish, ipods, or it is impossible to provide such a thing at this time teleportation, time travel, immortalitly in which case a state won't be able to provide it either.