Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 10:49 PM

Default Re: How to be a better driver

[ QUOTE ]
I drive way too slow and brake way too early ...

[/ QUOTE ]

For starters, stop doing that.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:02 PM

this is strange, coz in video games im very aggressive and actually do very well in racing games. Im pretty good at gran turismo.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is strange, coz in video games im very aggressive and actually do very well in racing games. Im pretty good at gran turismo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a great quarterback in Madden...
Old 08-31-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If anyone has ever played the newer need for speed games then they know about drifting which really went into my driving when there was snow in my neighborhood. Good times baby. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
You have to be kidding me.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If anyone has ever played the newer need for speed games then they know about drifting which really went into my driving when there was snow in my neighborhood. Good times baby. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
You have to be kidding me.

[/ QUOTE ]

For what its worth, everybody should know to steer into a fishtail to prevent losing total control. Whether they learn that from a video game or from watching NASCAR or however, I think that's important. Knowing how to stay calm and maintain control of my vehicle helps a lot. Its only happened I think twice now, but at least I know.

As for whoever said driving the speed limit on the interstate is dangerous, that's retarded. Its only dangerous if they don't know to stay to the right. Much more dangerous are the idiots going 85 or 90 switching lanes without signaling and doing my favorite "cut across 3 lanes to get to my exit a tenth of a mile ahead" move. Speed is all relative as long as you know how to behave at your speed. (Side note: I tend to drive around 5 over the limit wherever I am. I'm never in that much of a rush that I have to do 80, and I do just fine.)
Old 09-01-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Much more dangerous are the idiots going 85 or 90 switching lanes without signaling and doing my favorite "cut across 3 lanes to get to my exit a tenth of a mile ahead" move.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have to do this every day. I'm invincible though, so it's ok.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:17 AM

if u drive the speed limit, never going anywhere near southern california
Old 09-01-2007, 04:24 AM

Here's a tip that many people don't get. When you're sitting in the middle of a road waiting to turn left with traffic passing you in both directions, keep your wheels pointed straight! The amount of morons who steer their wheels towards the direction they are going to turn always amazes me.

Just think what happens when someone crashes into the back of you when you have done that compared with when your wheels are pointing straight.

Edit: Substitute right for left above if you drive on the left hand side of the road as in the UK.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:51 AM

Driving too fast or too slow are both very minor sins. I don't really care if I'm stuck behind some dude going 60 on the freeway and I'm generally really happy when somebody tears by me going 95 because they distract la policia.

The number one rule of driving is "Be predictable." If you realize that you didn't want to turn into that entrance after you already got in the middle lane and put your turn signal don't just pull back into traffic without pausing.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:27 AM

Blast adrenaline pumping music. This will no-doubt make you a more aggressive driver. Rage Against the Machine is an excellent choice.

In all seriousness though, be confident in what you're going to do but don't be stupid about it either. I am a very very aggressive driver, often accelerating to make a lane change where I'm sure 95% of the population would brake but I know which lane changes are simply too dangerous and opt to brake.

Also, I think the #1 solution to become a better driver is to be on the passanger seat of a really good driver.