Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Re: One last try

[ QUOTE ]
All I have been trying to say is Ivy is very much on the right in his poker skill. Where his luck falls we don't really know. He may be so far to the right that his luck is on the left and his skill just makes up for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that isn't what you said yesterday. You said Ivy's success is luck, and as evidence you provided a recounting of this video where, against all odds, he won three hands of poker.

[ QUOTE ]
But if we can find the person who is just as far on the right as Ivy and whose luck (beating the percentages) is also the farthest on the right, then we have just found the most dominate poker player in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pointless statement, since there is NO WAY TO MEASURE THE THING KNOWN AS LUCK or at least as it pertains to each individual player. This is why people do the thing known as "practice". Luck is uncontrollable. It either happens or it doesn't. Skill can be refined through trial-and-error or education.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Every process in life follows a distribution pattern known as a bell curve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, no it doesn't. In fact, math has many distributions it uses to describe processes found in life. The one you refer to as "bell curve" is really known as a normal or Gaussian distribution. Here is a listing of others that are used to describe many life processes from proton decay to the patterns of relected light, etc:

bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • multivariate bell curve
bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve•
bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve • bell curve•

[/ QUOTE ]

cardcounter,

you can say that. But this is what I read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you might get your eyes checked, but I would suspect some type of cognitive disfunction.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, you might get your eyes checked, but I would suspect some type of cognitive disfunction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm, I conducted an experiment. I looked at your message from 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 75, and 100 feet feet away. I plotted the results, with the x-axis representing distance, y-axis representing acuity. Sure enough, I got a bell-curve. I suggest standing 50 feet away when reading General forum.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your whole argument boils down to, if two people are equally skilled, the person who gets lucky will win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, don't forget there are many legitimate ways to win.

For example, you hold 10 hearts, 10 diamonds in the small blind. Villain raised on the cutoff. Heads up, the flop is A, K, Q of clubs. You check, villain pushes all-in. You would be foolish, IMO, to call. Too many ways that can go wrong. He's likely got a flush, broadway, royal flush, set or pair of aces, kings, or queens, maybe even two pair.

You fold. He had a pair of nines. Luck was on your side there but you folded the better hand. He may have read you right that if he pushed all-in when he had position, you were gonna fold.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:49 PM

ban
Old 03-22-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So I guess first step would be to prove that "luck" actually is normally distributed. How do you know it really doesn't follow a Cauchy distribution?

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, if it did, that would explain a lot of things. Damn those heavy tails baby.

Bell curve or not, all that's relevant to Craig's argument is that overall luck at cards over some time period follows some distribution.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm, I conducted an experiment. I looked at your message from 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 75, and 100 feet feet away. I plotted the results, with the x-axis representing distance, y-axis representing acuity. Sure enough, I got a bell-curve. I suggest standing 50 feet away when reading General forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... either something is really wrong with your eyes, or something was flawed in your experiment. I would suggest that such a graph would be a linear downward sloping line.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:53 PM

People could really learn a lot from the original post - for those who don't think it's good I suggest rereading it a few times to really try and take in what the guy is saying.

James
Old 03-22-2007, 07:14 PM

I hope you are being sarcastic. His post boils down to saying that because one person is "lucky" they have an effect on the cards they get by just being slightly more lucky than another person. A person being dealt cards in a poker game does not have an effect on the cards or the way they are dealt or shuffled just because they are born luckier than most. Explain to me how I can learn something from that.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:26 PM

It is nearly impossible to be lucky/unlucky at the exact +/- 0 breakevenpoint. Therefore some people are luckier and others are unluckier than average.