Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2006, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Response from my Representative

[ QUOTE ]
"Unregulated gambling websites have the ability to send American dollars out of the U.S. and into
the hands of unknown, sometimes untraceable recipients."

So REGULATE them, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, so creating a totally unregulated business makes a lot of f'ing sense.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd reply and ask him for just 1 example of how online poker has ever put $$$ into bad hands.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't it be funny if he replies with a story about how someone pulled down a big pot with 27o?
Old 10-24-2006, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah, we might want to be more specific than "bad hands". There are plenty of bad seeds in the online gaming world. Terrorist, no, but bad people, absolutely./quote]

Of course, but their are bad people in the world. Every industry has them and they come from all walks of life.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:30 PM

What.........Do they have some moron that writes for every congressman and senator. I got the same answer from every one I've written to. I wrote to everyone including the president and get the same letter back from all of them. They must have agreed before they passed this bill what they were going to say to us "whining poker players"......
and it's all chicken chit.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:46 PM

I got the same type of response from Sen. Burr. Dole and my congressman never responded.

But in all fairness, Rep. Myrick is a federal representative. She had absolutely no role in the recent passage of the NC Lottery.

As far as Kevin Geddings, ... , well he's been more than indicted.

The NC Lottery has been in existence since March 2006. They have made a $50 million payment to a reserve fund, and last week transferred $100 million more for state education needs.

Maybe a letter from a constituent pointing out how lottery funds have helped NC education and how a legal, regulated online poker environment could be a windfall for education, roads, water and sewer, etc. would generate more than a form letter? Or how the UGIA will actually put money in the hands of criminals and terrorists because the more transparent companies have removed themselves from the game and poker players will undoubtedly use less transparent means to fund their online accounts?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:43 PM

Well, the Communists are no longer the threat to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness that they were in the '50s, '60s and '70s. So we have to find some other boogie man.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I got the same type of response from Sen. Burr. Dole and my congressman never responded.

But in all fairness, Rep. Myrick is a federal representative. She had absolutely no role in the recent passage of the NC Lottery.

As far as Kevin Geddings, ... , well he's been more than indicted.

The NC Lottery has been in existence since March 2006. They have made a $50 million payment to a reserve fund, and last week transferred $100 million more for state education needs.

Maybe a letter from a constituent pointing out how lottery funds have helped NC education and how a legal, regulated online poker environment could be a windfall for education, roads, water and sewer, etc. would generate more than a form letter? Or how the UGIA will actually put money in the hands of criminals and terrorists because the more transparent companies have removed themselves from the game and poker players will undoubtedly use less transparent means to fund their online accounts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but didnt they make exceptions for lotteries in the Act?

Making an exception is virtually no different than endorsing the idea.

Many state lottery funds are shams. The pour the money into the education funds but what they dont tell you is they take the money back out of the initial education budget so the net effect is negligible.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:05 AM

"Well, the Communists are no longer the threat to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness that they were in the '50s, '60s and '70s. So we have to find some other boogie man."

Don't forget international drug dealers. They did noble duty bridging the boogieman gap between the fall of the Commies and the rise of Islamofascists.

All three of these groups were/are legitimate enemies. However, they undoubtedly were/are used as convenient justification for unrelated political bs.