Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Do you read local newspapers or watch local news?

I don't really watch the local news anymore. My reason though is partially the fact that I worked in the business for about 4 years and it did a good job of crushing my soul. So I don't like to be reminded of how crappy the stories are on local news, etc.

On the flip side I do like to keep up with what my former colleagues are up to, some of whom are in Seattle now, so occasionally I will stop the channel if I see one of them on.

As for newspapers, I rarely if ever pick up a copy of one of the big dailies. I do visit the Seattle Times and Seattle PI web sites on a daily basis. To keep up on local politics, I do follow a couple of reporter blogs. Same with some of the local sports coverage.

For weather I usually check out the National Weather Service forecasts through their web site, so I can pretend I'm still doing weather on TV like the old days.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:26 PM

Local news here in australia tends to = a shop owner who has been forced to close down, a dog who ran away then came back, or a really, really big pumpkin.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:29 PM

the only news i get is links from 2p2. anyone else like this? i generally dont have much reason to know/care about what is going on but sometimes its awkward when talking to adults or w/e and they ask me about some big news story and im like "hmm never heard of it"
Old 03-23-2007, 12:31 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

i watch bbc news a lot(one of those channels that im stoked that directv gets me). When i used to live with all my best friends we got the sf chronicle every morning and i usually read it. now i havent read a newspaper in like 2 years. The local news is always horrible.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:32 PM

I could be seated next to the local TV anchors and I would not recognize them.

However, I do think the local paper (Baltimore Sun) does a good job with the local muckraking, and so I read the paper to learn about city and state news.

Also, the local NPR has the Marc Steiner show. His shows on local issues, including panel discussions, are worth listening to. Or downloading.

Agreed on the weather, who checks local news for that? I find waiting for information on the Weather Channel to be too much of an inconvenience. Yahoo! widgets all the way.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:41 PM

I watch fox, and cnn. The local newspaper here is so left wing and out there, that I cant even read the "news" sections, just business, and the local scene stuff. P/U a St loius post-dispatch, and look at the front page, anyone with even a basic sense of bias will see that the FRONT PAGE reads like an editorial section, it is horrible. Im never home to watch local tv news. I listen to a lot of right wing radio, not oreily or hannity, they are boring, but Michael Savage, Dave Glover (local guy, who is hilarious), and Glen Beck.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:47 PM

Like most people the local news is really annoying and I never watch it. Weather.com ftw.

I read the paper every morning. I enjoy it as well as it is habit. The Dallas Morning News is an excellent paper (there are plenty of cities out there with decent papers) and isn't some gazette, of course with any news there is [censored] journalism and you have to take the good with the bad. I also read the paper in the morning no matter what city I am in and will read some God-awful city papers with breakfast, chuckling and grateful I don't live in that crappy town. Maybe I just like to read and am willing to read anything, I dunno? When I grew up though the paper was always on the table in the morning and my father and I would pass it back and forth and I just never stopped.

I am certain my gf has an addiction to national news so I get a steady dose of CNN even if I am sick of it, which I usually am.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:57 PM

NL,

"the only news i get is links from 2p2. anyone else like this? i generally dont have much reason to know/care about what is going on but sometimes its awkward when talking to adults or w/e and they ask me about some big news story and im like "hmm never heard of it""

I just can't relate to this. I have a desire to know what is going on in the world and be aware of news as a general matter of course. It's sorta hard for me to even engage in this dialogue since I so completely can't relate to having no desire to "know/care about what is going on."

This is actually a different discussion. You should create a new thread about it: "Why I don't care about the news."
Old 03-23-2007, 01:06 PM

I used to read the Philadelphia Daily News every day when I was living near Philly. I liked it better than The Inquirer (only because the DN was easier to read physically).

I only watch the morning local news for traffic and when it snows, to see how bad the roads are. Maybe see the weather. Otherwise, I get my news from cnn.com and msnbc.com.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:14 PM

Most of my news comes from Yahoo page links. I do have a local news module on there, but it's usually ininteresting. Also check a couple other websites for news. Only watch local news for snow delays, and I occasionally pick up the local papers if something interesting is going on.

ScottieK