Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 07:57 AM

Default Re: The Train From Tashkent

[ QUOTE ]
We do realize that Russia is no longer non grata in this muslim corner of the world, don't we? I mean, the godless, evil communists are gone, and a bunch of religious, capitalist, business-minded nice folks are in charge now, aren't they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, last time I checked they have a former KGB officer running the place who wants to roll back time and reinstitute hardline communism. Pretty much the antithesis of religious, capitalist, business-minded, or nice.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:43 AM

Default An even simpler point.........

The invasion and subsequent occupation of Iraq by the US has caused the rapid destabilization of first Iraq, and now it seems the Middle East.

It is our actions that have opened the 'Pandora's Box' potential in the middle east.

Destabilization is tricky business, especially in an area where there are so many competing power bases and different agenda.

Our administration did it.....We, as a nation, own it.....It appears that it will get 'worse' before it gets 'better'.

God knows what the turning point will be.....Probably only time and the utter exhaustion of the participating rivals.

IMO, history will judge the actions of Bush and the US in these matters very harshly.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We do realize that Russia is no longer non grata in this muslim corner of the world, don't we? I mean, the godless, evil communists are gone, and a bunch of religious, capitalist, business-minded nice folks are in charge now, aren't they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, last time I checked they have a former KGB officer running the place who wants to roll back time and reinstitute hardline communism.

[/ QUOTE ]You can't be referring to Putin.

Putin is ex-KGB and he's religious as much as Saddam Hussein was. Apart from that, what I wrote stands.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Why isn\'t anyone called on these simple points?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they still won't be anywhere near the caliber of the U.S army so how can they be expected to do something the U.S army can't do?

[/ QUOTE ]

They won't be. After we leave, all the angry Muslim bees we're drawing to Iraq with our military honey will have no reason to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - You obviously do not realize that the Shia/Sunni conflict precedes US involvement in the Middle East by centuries, that Saddam Hussien handled the conflict by killing 100,000's of Shiites, and now the other Sunni's (such as ones in Jordan and Saudi Arabia) are jumping in line to help the Sunni's in Iraq.

I don't know everything about the situation on the ground over there, but I will bet my bankroll on the fact that the worst acts of terrorism over there are Sunni's killing Shiites and vice-versa. US troops are getting killed too, but the real carnage is muslim on muslim.

Iraq is a proxy war against Iran, let's see where it will go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never claimed they would have nothing to worry about, just that they wouldn't have to deal with the same thing the U.S. is. Or if I were to respond to you like you responded to me...

LOL, you obviously need to learn some reading comprehension skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

AlexM - LOLZ U because I thought you were saying everyting would be okay over there if the US left. As I reread your post, I still feel that's the correct way to read what you wrote.

Btw, my reading comprehension did suck last night and sucks right now, I have been awake for 40 hours straight
Old 12-13-2006, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, last time I checked they have a former KGB officer running the place who wants to roll back time and reinstitute hardline communism.

[/ QUOTE ]You can't be referring to Putin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm certainly not sure which Putin you're talking about, but the Putin that I'm familiar with is the ex-KGB officer who has moved Russia back towards centralization of power, press intimidation, and assassination and persecution of political opponents, and who is no more a capitalist or businessman than Propertarian is.

[ QUOTE ]
Putin is ex-KGB and he's religious as much as Saddam Hussein was. Apart from that, what I wrote stands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest some of these words do not mean what you think they mean: Capitalist, business-minded, nice.

I supposed you could have a point with "business-minded" if the business in question is "moving back to a centralized, totalitarian regime."
Old 12-13-2006, 08:08 PM

The point is oil interests. Iran v Saudi Arabia would be clash of the two big oil powers. Iran and Russia are still intricately linked economically, and with the oil situation worsening this tie could only strengthen in the short term. China is also tied to Iran in this way. Iran and Saudi Arabia have been fighting proxy wars against each other for a while. The Iran/Iraq war was a proxy war of Russia vs. U.S. The U.S. sold Iraq chemical weapons for that war, and is alleged to have helped coordinate the chemical attacks.

That is yet another reason this WMD / bring democracy thing is seen as completely ridiculous and insulting to anyone who follows history. It's another reason our current policy is breeding more hatred of us worldwide- making us less and less safe. The only thing this current policy is good for is our short-term oil interests.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A history of purposely destabilizing their countries and oppressing their people is why they hate us, and why 9/11 wasn't stopped. Look back to 1953 when we overthrew Iran's democracy and installed a brutal dictator who would give us oil as an example.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I swear old men who can't adapt from the old outdated isolationist mind-frame are going to be the death of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

*scratches head* So... you approve of what happened in that first quote then? Your tone suggested otherwise, but I guess not.

[/ QUOTE ]What the hell?

Not being isolationist =/= ruining other people's countries.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, last time I checked they have a former KGB officer running the place who wants to roll back time and reinstitute hardline communism. Pretty much the antithesis of religious, capitalist, business-minded, or nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

When some portion of a county's foreign policy is simply polonium 210 we need to worry.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suggest some of these words do not mean what you think they mean: Capitalist, business-minded, nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

You left off inconceivable.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A history of purposely destabilizing their countries and oppressing their people is why they hate us, and why 9/11 wasn't stopped. Look back to 1953 when we overthrew Iran's democracy and installed a brutal dictator who would give us oil as an example.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I swear old men who can't adapt from the old outdated isolationist mind-frame are going to be the death of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

*scratches head* So... you approve of what happened in that first quote then? Your tone suggested otherwise, but I guess not.

[/ QUOTE ]What the hell?

Not being isolationist =/= ruining other people's countries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coulda fooled me since that's all we've been doing since we stopped being isolationist after WWII. You have some new form of nonisolationism?