Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 03:33 AM

Default Re: Concentration of Power in the US

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and if Hillary served two terms it would be 28 years with a Clinton or Bush in charge, not 36. Dummy.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was including the 8 years Bush Sr served as VP under Reagan.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's still retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's retarded that Bush I was also VP for 8 years? I agree.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:38 AM

"The Clinton plan doesnt' force government insurance on anyone"

Yes, it does. If you dont want coverage at all you are still forced to enroll in something or you cant work.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, it does. If you dont want coverage at all you are still forced to enroll in something or you cant work.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right and I'll clarify.

The Clinton plan does not force anyone who currently has private insurance to leave their plan and participate in the government program. Anyone that is happy with their current private insurance is completely free to keep it.

Of course, that largely isn't going to happen, so who cares. The government insurance is going to drive the private sector out of business for almost everybody inside of 15 years anyway.

And so what if you have to enroll in something to work? I'm not seeing the problem there. Health care is good. That's like saying "if I want to breath, I'm forced to breath just oxygen". It's ridiculous.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And so what if you have to enroll in something to work? I'm not seeing the problem there. Health care is good. That's like saying "if I want to breath, I'm forced to breath just oxygen".

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-22-2007, 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Clinton plan does not force anyone who currently has private insurance to leave their plan and participate in the government program. Anyone that is happy with their current private insurance is completely free to keep it.

Of course, that largely isn't going to happen, so who cares. The government insurance is going to drive the private sector out of business for almost everybody inside of 15 years anyway.

And so what if you have to enroll in something to work? I'm not seeing the problem there. Health care is good. That's like saying "if I want to breath, I'm forced to breath just oxygen". It's ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you mean you can opt out of government insurance and not pay the associated taxes, or do I have to pay for government insurance whether or not I'm benefiting from it?

Also, a key difference between having insurance and breathing oxygen is that breathing oxygen isn't negative expected value (bracketing the other ways in which that analogy is absurd).
Old 10-22-2007, 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The power is not concentrated in this two families. The power is concentrated in the two parties and the fact that there may be a cute little coincidence that the last names have matched up for the past couple of decades is just that. The parties run everything and I don't believe these two families run those parties.

[/ QUOTE ]

Recently had a buddy from college try to convince me of this family control idea, but I certainly side with you Case. What would be even better is if the constituents had a little more power. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2007, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you mean you can opt out of government insurance and not pay the associated taxes, or do I have to pay for government insurance whether or not I'm benefiting from it?

Also, a key difference between having insurance and breathing oxygen is that breathing oxygen isn't negative expected value (bracketing the other ways in which that analogy is absurd).

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine, say whatever you want about the analogy. On the spot.

I don't know if you can opt out of paying into the government program. If you can't, get over it. Social contract. Government is how we come together to do things that we can't as individuals. If we decide that means health care (as we will see in the next election) then so be it. Deal.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you can opt out of paying into the government program. If you can't, get over it. Social contract. Government is how we come together to do things that we can't as individuals. If we decide that means health care (as we will see in the next election) then so be it. Deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do as I say or else?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do as I say or else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, don't you know anything about democracy? The government has every right to force a more expensive, less efficient method of doing something down your throat, and as he said, if you don't like it "deal".

There is a whole article in the Bill of Rights concerning government backed health care. You didn't study it in High School civics?
Old 10-22-2007, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
more expensive, less efficient method of doing something

[/ QUOTE ]

Silly and wrong. There's a reason the government plan is going to indirectly destroy broadly held private insurance.