Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Re: small pairs UTG and UTG+1 NL25 & 50

[ QUOTE ]
raise...raise...raise some more. Cbet a ton and double and triple fairly often and you have yourself a consistent winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would that be true for NL10 also?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My 2 cents: if you play on playing and you're first in, then always raise it up.

Example of how a hand can be played where you raised it:
You got 22 utg, you raise and get called on the button by 6h7h. Flop comes AQ4 , you c/bet and he folds alot because he was playing for straights/flushes/..

Same hand where you limp/call:
flop comes AQ4, you missed your set, you check and he c/bets. Exactly, now he takes it down with 7 high and there's nothing you can do.

edit:
another thing: If you're only raising AA/KK/AK UTG then you'll be easier to read. It's gonna be harder to stack someone off aswell. So I'm raising any pair UTG for setvalue, to take it down with a c/bet, to disguise my monsters somewhat better

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure I'd be raising ANY PP from UTG and UTG+1 as there are more people left to act and a better chance that someone will reraise you (with a better hand, I might add). Do you give up to reraises here getting bad odds to set-mine or keep repping the big hand? I also think an observant player will note that you're not playing tighter in EP (unless you start loosening up in MP and LP as well). I'll raise a good amount of PP's in early position (99+ and sometimes 88 at the right table) but I'd need to be convinced that the money you make camouflaging your premium EP raises is a good deal more than the money you lose folding to reraises AND playing OOP with something like 55.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:54 PM

To those of you who favor playing these small pairs aggressively, do you only do this OOP? Do you raise and c-bet from early and set mine from late or do you play them aggressively from the button and cutoff, too?

I play in weak games where I've always assumed set mining was the best tactic with any pair 8 or lower, but I've had my doubts lately.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:01 PM

I've always been a limp/caller with these since that is the way NLTAP suggests, though it seems i'm in the negative with PP's from UTG and UTG+1. Maybe i'll try the more aggro route for awhile and see how it works.

The only big problem I can see with the aggro route is you will likely be reraised possibly needing to fold against the hands you have the best implied odds against, AA, KK, QQ, etc. Maybe this isn't so bad as I think though if the villian's don't size their 3 bets correctly.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always been a limp/caller with these since that is the way NLTAP suggests, though it seems i'm in the negative with PP's from UTG and UTG+1. Maybe i'll try the more aggro route for awhile and see how it works.

The only big problem I can see with the aggro route is you will likely be reraised possibly needing to fold against the hands you have the best implied odds against, AA, KK, QQ, etc. Maybe this isn't so bad as I think though if the villian's don't size their 3 bets correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the raise in this situation, and if the reraise is a minimum re-raise I can call and I know pretty well that I'm against either AA or KK, or maybe AK. I consider these situations ideal because if my set hits, I'm taking a stack home!

If the reraise is good sized, I usually fold because I don't think the odds are proper to call.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not correct. NLTAP adviced this with 70BB stacks if I remember correctly
Old 10-02-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you raise and c-bet from early and set mine from late or do you play them aggressively from the button and cutoff, too?

[/ QUOTE ]I raise multiple limpers with them, but in general I hate playing limped pots. I'd raise Axs,57s,45s+,KJo and lots of other trash after multiple limpers as well.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
raise...raise...raise some more. Cbet a ton and double and triple fairly often and you have yourself a consistent winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would that be true for NL10 also?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience - yes.
People are more apt to call with crap preflop so they fold just as often to your c-bet.

Just watch out for total callstations, multiway pots etc. otherwise c-bet away.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:53 PM

I was actually talking to another 2+2 player about this at a live game on Friday. Not just small pocket pair, but raising and double barrelling from UTG and UTG+1 seems to be the new profit center in full ring games.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was actually talking to another 2+2 player about this at a live game on Friday. Not just small pocket pair, but raising and double barrelling from UTG and UTG+1 seems to be the new profit center in full ring games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll believe that if you give me a good explanation. Does not make much sense to me to be honest.