Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Preliminary Kill Phil Comments

Mason:

Have you dove into Phil Gordon's Little Green Book? I don't remember comments about that. Also, I know it's an old text but I don't see any reviews from you on Bob Ciaffone's 1997 book No Limit and Pot Limit Hold'em. Thoughts on that?
Old 12-25-2005, 09:02 PM

Mason has reviewed NL&PL Poker. It got 10 out of 10. I think the review is included in GTOT.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:31 PM

Mason recently did a quick review of Gordon's book which I'm sure you could find with a quick search. I don't remember exactly what he rated it but the review was positive overall.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:25 AM

So does the title mean Phil Helmuth? LOL!

He seems to get a lot of derision.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:51 AM

Phil is used to mean any random pro, including Phil and used since there are so many other strong Phil's out there like Ivey, Gordon, and Laak. Phil Hellmuth did the forward which deals (somewhat amusingly) with the question you've posed.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:45 PM

Shandrax,

We deal with your first issue in the later sections of the book. We include suggestions on maintaining stack size and using your big stack to advantage. We added these tactics when we found, in experimenting with the strategy, the issues you raise to be valid. The basic strategy is a good starting point for less experienced players, but KP becomes much more powerful as you apply the advanced concepts. This is why we urge players to move on to the advanced sections as soon as possible.

If you are a better player than your opposition, you are essentially the 'Phil'. In that case, you should use your small ball skills to your advantage. However, many of the long ball concepts in KP are well applied at later stages of a tournament by players of all skill levels. In my experience, many good players excel in the small ball arena, but are a bit lacking in their long ball applications. Many of the good players we've discussed the book with are not as upset about the all-in strategy being applied by inexperienced players as they are by us giving players on the cusp of being really dangerous the weapons to put them over the top.

Blair
Old 12-26-2005, 08:26 PM

Mason,

I work in a BN and am friends with the guy who's department includes the poker books. I've been passing your reviews on to him, and we've been upping the model (amount kept on hand) of books you give good reviews to.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mason,

I work in a BN and am friends with the guy who's department includes the poker books. I've been passing your reviews on to him, and we've been upping the model (amount kept on hand) of books you give good reviews to.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about upping the order of 2+2 books? Too often they are too hard to find in the channel. Probably sold out of course [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] perhaps bigger orders? B&N only profits from sales, 2+2 books are expensive... sounds like a match made in heaven. Whose tummy do I have to grease (with butter) to get this done?

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2005, 10:18 PM

I just read about 80 pages of it at my local bookstore (going to buy it with the coupon at Borders tomorrow) and I was very impressed with Blair's thought process. I still have my doubts about how it would stand up in an online $5 tournament, which I play. How many people are going to lay down AQ when I re-raise all in with 99 as part of the Kill Phil Basic Plus Strategy? Also, I didn't like the comment about how the chop, chop, chopping away method is old age poker used by Dan Harrington. The WSOP winner Joe Hachem didn't necessarily win by all in moves, and Mike Matusow and Steve Dannenman placed at the final table with solid, littleball strategy.

I can't see myself adopting all of this strategy, but I definitely will use some of it. Especially in middle stack area where I flop an open ended straight draw with overcards. For example KQ on a J 10 4 rainbow board. This is a good time to push, for Rodman.

I love the CSI approach too and found the hand groupings useful.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:48 PM

I don't think its meant to be the end all be all strategy. It is to get your foot in the door. Then, when you are comfortable, you incorporate some more strategies that they offer, and once comfortable with those, you can start using small ball techniques, in conjunction with your all in moves to provide a strategy for all situations.