Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 04:42 AM

Default Re: \"How to Use Your Laptop as a Secondary Monitor\" thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thank you. I guess I will try out synergy since that does work on my Mac. I will probably be back with more questions later, thank again.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, I'll have to try to get Synergy fired up so I can test it out just in case people have problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Synergy is for a different purpose. It lets you control multiple computers and monitors with one keyboard and mouse.

So if you had one computer with two screens, plus a laptop, you could control them all with your main keyboard and mouse. It acts like it is an extended desktop, but it is an entirely separate OS and you cannot drag windows between the screen.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Synergy is for a different purpose. It lets you control multiple computers and monitors with one keyboard and mouse.

So if you had one computer with two screens, plus a laptop, you could control them all with your main keyboard and mouse. It acts like it is an extended desktop, but it is an entirely separate OS and you cannot drag windows between the screen.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the info freakin...I hadn't had time to look into the program at all so I just was taking their word for it.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the info freakin...I hadn't had time to look into the program at all so I just was taking their word for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, my confused mistake [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Probably still worth a mention in this context, however useful for a different purpose in a similar context.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, my confused mistake [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Probably still worth a mention in this context, however useful for a different purpose in a similar context.

[/ QUOTE ]

synergy is freaking awesome. I used it to control 3 comps right on my desk across 3 monitors + laptop screen
Old 12-05-2006, 04:47 PM

This thread is awesome!!!!!!!!
I wanna hear more like this, any chance of you doing more on similar asked questions?

Thanks
Old 12-05-2006, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is awesome!!!!!!!!
I wanna hear more like this, any chance of you doing more on similar asked questions?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

If there is a question that I feel get's asked A LOT besides the questions like...

"What computer should I get?" or "Is this video card good?"

This was the first one that came to mind because we get asked it a couple times a week and I had always wondered myself, so I decided to try it and then report back so we can always reference this thread.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

/gold
Old 12-05-2006, 06:05 PM

So how do you actually do it?
Old 12-05-2006, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So how do you actually do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to get the program mentioned in my OP.

Install it first on your main computer then after that completes, install the client on your laptop. At this point, both of my computers were on the same network and just auto-synced to each other, your's should do the same.

Then just go into your display settings (right click on desktop, properties, advanced tab) and change the arrangement of the monitors. You should now see a second monitor named something with MaxiVista in it. Either drag it to the right or left or up or down to your desired arrangement and you should be all set.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:05 AM

for macs (as primary machine) you can also try Screenrecycler

as secondary displays you can use any machine which can run a VNC client (for more info check out the site)
Old 12-06-2006, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
for macs (as primary machine) you can also try Screenrecycler

as secondary displays you can use any machine which can run a VNC client (for more info check out the site)

[/ QUOTE ]

this looks more like what we are looking for, for Macs ... nice link.

someone with a Mac try it out and let me know how it goes!