Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Re: The last acceptable form of bigotry

[ QUOTE ]
iron, I don't think he's saying it's the largest group of bigotry, he's just saying that it's the only acceptable form of it because it's against the majority.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I'm saying is, when was the last time you saw a non-homosexual stand up for a homosexual that was the victim of bigotry. On the other hand, when is the last time you saw a non-Christian stand up for a Christian that is the victim of bigotry?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:17 AM

The point of that link was to point out that very few people are prejudiced against Catholics while many are prejudiced against other groups. I'm saying that despite the persecution complex some Christians have, very few people are prejudiced against Catholics. How much prejudice against Christians could there be in a country that is 90% Christian?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
iron, I don't think he's saying it's the largest group of bigotry, he's just saying that it's the only acceptable form of it because it's against the majority.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I'm saying is, when was the last time you saw a non-homosexual stand up for a homosexual that was the victim of bigotry. On the other hand, when is the last time you saw a non-Christian stand up for a Christian that is the victim of bigotry?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I am pretty much the worlds biggest fan of analogies, and I absolutely HATE it when people pick stupid parts of an analogy to whine about and go "ZOMG bad analogy!" but I do have to mention that hating someone for being gay or black or whatever is an entirely different world than hating someone for being a Christian. The only way this isn't true is if you admit that Christians were born that way and that they didn't make an active choice to become Christians. Which of course is probably not far from the truth but certainly not something most Christians want to admit to.

You cannot be a bigot against child molesters can you? (and this is the part where you remember that I just made that whole speech about analogies and you don't need to waste time saying Child molestation != Christianity because I already know that but in both cases we are hating the actions that they take that are conscious choices and are things we vehemently disagree with, it is a matter of scale). IOW, I am not bigoted against Christians I am bigoted against anyone who thinks it is just to burn in Hell for eternity. Or a few other choice reasons, like scapegoating.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:26 AM

When gays start trying to convert me then I'll start bashing them.

After I get some fashion tips.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I recently came across a billboard promoting the Folsom street fair; a gay pride parade.

[/ QUOTE ]

sort of off-topic, but it's less of a gay pride parade, and more of a public orgy. Lots of nudity, lots of sexual conduct, bondage scenes, etc. It's the sort of thing that ONLY flies in San Francisco.

I think iron's right here mostly, but I don't necessarily disagree with OP. Right now, I would say there's no real prejudice against Catholics. They're not hurting for jobs or anything. But are they amongst the most safely mocked? No doubt. It's prevalent on college campuses and things of that ilk, easy laugh for a stand-up comic. Something a liberal pundit can throw in there for a mean zinger. Were I religious I might care more, but even still I tend to think less of people who resort to such cheap shots.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone apparantly forgot about Southerners.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fat people and red headed men.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:24 AM

Well, I'm "bigoted" against all religious people: since they choose to hold ridiculous beliefs, I choose to view them as ridiculous people.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm "bigoted" against all religious people: since they choose to hold ridiculous beliefs, I choose to view them as ridiculous people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. I feel the same way about the poor. I mean WTF is wrong with the poor? They should really learn to make money.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. I feel the same way about the poor. I mean WTF is wrong with the poor? They should really learn to make money.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

IDK, I felt like responding to an asinine post with an equally asinine response.

Regardless of someone's beliefs, what gives you the right to look down on them?