Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Great Cocktails

Old 10-04-2007, 03:10 AM

A delicious drink that most women won't turn down.

The Velvet Hammer:

25% Grand Marnier ( or Triple Sec)
25% Creme de Cacao
50% Evaporated Milk or Double Cream

Shaken with ice, and poured into chilled cocktail glass.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Post a picture. I want to see [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
And where does one buy pomegranite juice?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll hopefully have a new picture up in a few hours, I need some more pomegranite juice. I've been buying Rubicon juices, which are a bit expensive as they only seem to sell them in the UK in cornershops. Their website is quite informative, and tells you what ranges they have and you can email them to ask where they supply them.

http://www.rubiconexotic.com/juicy_drinks.html

The lychee is my favourite one. Some of them are really syrupy actually. I'm hoping to try them all at some point.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:12 AM

abs,

A Sidecar is another classic that any bar should have the ingredients to make, even if the bartender doesn't know what it is off the top of his head. It's simply,

2 parts brandy
1 part Cointreau (or triple sec)
1 part lemon juice

Shaken and served straight up with either a twist of lemon or a lemon wheel.

RBP,

That does sound like it could be a real winner. I'd like it more if it had more alcohol, though. I might experiment with tossing some brandy in there as well to make it a slightly more exotic Brandy Alexander (0.75 oz brandy, 0.75 oz cream, 0.5 oz creme de cacao)
Old 10-04-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are some ridiculously good cocktails?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on your taste in liquor, but the classics are the classics for a reason. When I was bartending, I was constantly being asked for drink recommendations, and I just responded with a quick couple of questions before I'd make them a classic cocktail:

What is your favorite liquor?
What is your cocktail of choice?
Do you like sweet, sour or bitter?

That's enough to figure out a general recommendation for someone.

The best of the staples:

Gin - left for dead by the younger generation in lieu of vodka because *gasp* you can taste the alcohol! Yes, you can, and gin is gooooooood. Let the girls and kids drink Vodka filtered 12 times to eliminate all taste.

Martini, dry dammit!
Gimlet
Singapore Sling
Alexander
Gibson
Gin and Tonic
Tom Collins

Scotch, whiskey, bourbon - the first four are mostly reserved for evenings where drunkenness will ensue. I don't know of any night out where I ordered one of the first four and didn't end up torched.

Manhattan, dry dammit!
Rusty Nail
Scotch and Soda
Rye Whiskey and Ginger Ale
Old-Fashioned - Made the, uh, old-fashioned way, not the half-assed way it's done now. Outside of a martini and a manhattan, I don't know that there is a more mangled drink out there than an Old-Fashioned.
Ward Eight

Vodka - they don't have taste anymore, so there is no need to throw four or five ingredients into a drink with Vodka. Stay simple:

Ice Pick
Lynchburg Lemonade
Harvey Wallbanger - so vastly underrated as a vodka cocktail
Greyhound

Champagne
Champagne cocktail - simple, yet very elegant. If you are on a date at a cocktail party and she's looking for something to drink - order this. This has nothing to do with the fact that well-dressed women drinking from champagne flutes is hot.
Black Velvet
Mimosa

Gimmick / cordial / sweet dreck:
Sidecar
"Martinis" made with Vodka and 137 other ingredients
Amaretto Sours
Whiskey Sours
Stinger

If you have any questions, shoot. If not, read a bit about each one - these are all classics that have been around since people were mixing liquor to cover the tastes of poor quality liquor [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If you are unsure of any of these drinks and you are ordering them when you're out -- make sure that you're ordering from a good bartender. Crappy bartenders make crappy drinks and will ruin the taste of most cocktails which will likely turn you off to that specific drink permanently. When the bartender is subpar - order beer.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'll try one soon, but how are Sidecars? Unfortunately, there aren't many bartenders around the U of Minn that can make such a classic drink... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

At The Independent in Uptown (Mpls) they serve this drink called the Minnesota Nice

It's a whiskey sour with a splash of Midori (spelling is WAY off there, sorry). It turns it to a pale green, but is absolutely delicious, esp if you like whiskey sours, but you probably don't seeing as you don't like whiskey drinks.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:35 PM

Ace-

I'm slowly acquiring a taste for whiskey.

Thanks for the recs KotOD
Old 10-04-2007, 02:59 PM

How a bout a Long Island Ice Tea? When made correctly they are ridiculously good!

Rum and Coke

Being from Frontier Montana we do not see too many fancy cocktails made at the local watering hole.
If you want to drink like a real honest to God cowboy, here are the staples around here:
Crown and Coke - Diet Coke is more than acceptable in any drink mixed with regular Coke in my book.
Jack and Coke
Various other whiskey and Coke drinks

Every now and then you see a Bloody Mary (or Cesar which I prefer) or a Long Island Ice Tea being made.
After that it's pretty much straight shots of whiskey or the occasional mixed shot like a Rattlesnake (Made with Crown, Southern Comfort, Sweet and sour mix and a touch or Grenadine)
That's really it other than Beer
Old 10-04-2007, 03:12 PM

Gotta give some love to the Rusty Nail.

It's the perfect wintertime cocktail. Warms up all the important parts.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:08 PM

KotOD,

I'm surprised you put the Sidecar under sweet dreck. It's a perfectly legitimate cocktail, and it's not very sweet.