Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Re: stud/8 - 5th street situation

Sorry, there are a few ways he can be free-rolling on you on sixth. But only a few. I still think that it's far more likely that you are free-rolling on him. So yeah, you're paranoid. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You missed some bets and that's why you posted this hand, right?
Old 11-03-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, there are a few ways he can be free-rolling on you on sixth. But only a few. I still think that it's far more likely that you are free-rolling on him. So yeah, you're paranoid. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess we'll have to disagree on this point. What hand could he reasonably have on 5th, let alone 6th, that isn't a flush? I don't see any possible way he can bet into me on 6th without it. The closest thing maybe is rolled Fours which hurts my straight likelihood, but that would be retarded to bet it when he's finally HU and not earlier in a 4-way pot, and especially considering my jamming on 5th.

[ QUOTE ]

You missed some bets and that's why you posted this hand, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I missed out on some bets in a different way than what you're alluding to; in that with my made hand, I want to pull in Seat 4 rather than push him out. Let him chase to whatever he's drawing to. His hand could conceivably develop into a scary high board and I could enjoy lots of bets going in on 6th and 7th if he catches an 8 or 6. (Granted I know this player pretty well and very likely had a low draw, but it's still a few extra bets the other guy and I would likely split up since my 6 is unlikely to be caught up to).

When I wrote up my OP, most of the other streets seemed pretty automatic (3rd is debatable) since it seemed abundantly clear to me that he had a flush on 6th. From his perspective, I look like I could have a low hand of any quality because I could be raising to force out the only other draw in the hand. If I have 87653 on 6th and him a flush, that makes his range of possible hole cards that he at least thinks he's freerolling with even wider, but the chance I'm FRing him about nil. Regardless of the results [he had <font color="white">Ad 7d 5c</font>], I still think raising 6th is wrong.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:28 AM

I have no comment on the hand except that, yeah, it looks like you pushed out people who you'd rather have in and got yourself heads up with the high hand.

The real reason I posted is that I think you get better discussion from this hand if you end it at 5th. That 5d can't help but influence people and 6th doesn't help either, because once you see 6th now you REALLY wish you'd kept those other people in.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:05 PM

I think jamming 5th is good. The 3 diamonds don't have to be a flush. He could have a number of hands. Remember, he can't see that you have a straight.

People play this game really badly. Go ahead and raise anytime you have a lock to half the pot and some chance to scoop. Sometimes the people getting jammed will call anyway, and you'll make even more.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:49 PM

I complete on third. You've got a great low starter, your straight cards are live, and you are in what looks like it is going to be a multiway pot.

I reraise on fifth. Your low is strong, and as far as you know your straight may still be good as well. Losing the other passenger is unfortunate, but not a disaster.

On sixth, given the action, I agree that the villain almost certainly has a flush, and could be freerolling you. I like the check-calls there and on the river.

Complete on third street more often.