Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 10:47 PM

Default Re: How do you keep playing A game when runnig like complete sh*t?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just literally cannot go 100 hands without some horrendous cooler/suckout. Its depressing.

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems about normal to me. Live with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
That seem great to me I can't seem to go more that 10 or 15
Old 06-23-2007, 02:12 AM

It's pretty much impossible to play your A game when you're running extremely bad even if you are virtually tiltproof.

Review the hands you play when you're losing, either quit playing for the day or plug the obvious mistakes. But there is no way you can play your best game ever when getting crushed because of the fuzz in your head.

-Michael
Old 06-23-2007, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... there is nothing fundamentally wrong with my poker ability. Im light years ahead of most at the tables im playing at but im simply running like complete and utter crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I will sometimes make one retarded call and that leads to me becoming worse and worse...

[/ QUOTE ]

Read your own words, and think about them.

You've been honest with us, now you just need to be honest with yourself.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
... there is nothing fundamentally wrong with my poker ability. Im light years ahead of most at the tables im playing at but im simply running like complete and utter crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I will sometimes make one retarded call and that leads to me becoming worse and worse...

[/ QUOTE ]

Read your own words, and think about them.

You've been honest with us, now you just need to be honest with yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true and a good point.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully I didn't come across like a dick. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I had a very similar period in my past, and it was very difficult to see the forest through the trees. It was only after I stopped, and took a good honest look at the situation that I realized that I had gone from a winning player, to a chip spewing tiltbox.

Even the most subtle of changes in your game can create huge effects on the backend... A loose call here, the refusal to fold a marginal hand there.... it all adds up to some Very Bad Things™.

Good luck.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:00 PM

I am a beginner, and I can pretty much understand the feelings described.

Within a period of 3 days, playing only one table at a time, about 2 hrs a day, I lost I think 6 of a total of 8 Full houses to a better full house. What really helps me is to immediately after I finish my session go over the hands where I think I was beaten badly, i.e. where it struck me hard emotionally. Very often I can see where I played wrong. If not, I understand I played well. Then I just myself "Thats just Poker", and it gets easier immediately. I am training myself to take unlucky beats as much with a smile as lucky wins, since this shows the grace of the game I like so much. After all, if the target wouldnt turn around and shoot back at you every once in a while, it would be soooo boring...
Old 06-24-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully I didn't come across like a dick. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I had a very similar period in my past, and it was very difficult to see the forest through the trees. It was only after I stopped, and took a good honest look at the situation that I realized that I had gone from a winning player, to a chip spewing tiltbox.

Even the most subtle of changes in your game can create huge effects on the backend... A loose call here, the refusal to fold a marginal hand there.... it all adds up to some Very Bad Things™.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello.

No I had a good idea of what you were saying, dont worry!

I'm thinking about my game constantly and trying to find out ways to solve the problems that are emerging, im pretty sure I'll be ok in a couple of weeks or so. (Hopefully)
Old 06-24-2007, 08:27 PM

Take time off from your regular game to let your head clear. Play some Omaha, or play some Limit instead of NL or vice versa. If you're new to Omaha, play at a low limit and just have some fun. Or stick to your game but move down and try some different moves or a totally different style to your normal game - make it interesting and fun by playing LAG if you're normally a TAG, or practice some discipline and tighten up if you're normally a LAG. Drop to micros and raise every hand. Re-read one of your poker books, or read a new one.

I find all this helps my perspective. It's too easy to get stuck in a rut otherwise, grinding the same game endlessly, I find I can be semi-tilted before I even start playing when I'm running bad. Change is as good as a holiday.

$.02 from me, don't spend it all at once.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im not playing too bad I reviewed my session from earlier and only found one glaringly bad play, the rest were just complete coolers left, right and centre.

I just literally cannot go 100 hands without some horrendous cooler/suckout. Its depressing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should not be depressing. This is a normal statistacally accurate part of the game. The guy with 1 out have a 2% chance of winning. And he does do that. So, when it happens, say, Yeah, i know that happens.

Example: I had AA Villain had A2 flop 555, i bet $12 villain pushes (to steal or bluff) I of course call. The turn is another 5, so now we both have the best hand. He had one out. It sucks, but he did have an out.

Also, these suckouts give "hope" to those who don't have a hope......and that keeps them coming back to us......lol

gl out there.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's pretty much impossible to play your A game when you're running extremely bad even if you are virtually tiltproof.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Very few people can do this, and most who say they can are either FOS or deluding themselves.

Much more important, I think, is to be able to realize, when your game has deteoriated so much, that it's time to quit (even though you're down 100 BB, and you really want to win them back).