Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Internet on planes

[ QUOTE ]
durrr,

Very few airlines have this. I believe Lufthansa might have some flying, but I'm not positive. Check their site for details. I don't think any US airlines have it in place yet.

TONS of airlines, plane companies, and service providers have had projects trying to get this in place, but nobody has been able to create what they think is a profitable model (taking into account heavy startup/infrastructure costs). I remember the initial announcements said pricing would be like $25-30 per flight.

Boeing has spent over A BILLION DOLLARS over the last 5-10 years getting this service rolled out with its planes. Very low adoption so far. Just recently there was talk of them [censored]-canning the whole project.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lufthansa had it and abandoned it on all flights
Old 05-03-2007, 09:08 PM

i would travel a ton more and pay around double if i could use the net on planes.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
shaniac: Many business and first class cabins have laptop power. I think some coach cabins do as well.

fgl: I actually have detailed knowledge of this specific topic beyond basic articles because it impacts me directly as a frequent business traveler and a while back I was interested in the space as an investment focus, so did a lot of research on the fundamental economics of it. I haven't looked at it in the last year or so, though, so not up to date on the current status of stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks and not to be a nitpicker this is a seriou question, specifically how did you learn that stuff
Old 05-03-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would travel a ton more and pay around double if i could use the net on planes.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes you unique.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
diablo, how/why do you know about that in such detail?

[/ QUOTE ]

b/c diablo is unlike anyone else I have ever known. He (or it), has a natural desire to know as much as possible about life, and things in general. So if there is an interesting piece of info out there, diablo's natural interest will lead him to it.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:37 PM

I heard he was a fact checker for news week.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:42 PM

While the initial experiments were a failure, it looks like this is coming back big time soon:

[ QUOTE ]
AirCell will install equipment on airliners that will act as a WiFi hotspot in the cabin and connect to laptop computers and devices like BlackBerrys that have WiFi chips. In all, it will cost about $100,000 to outfit a plane with less than 100 pounds of equipment, and the work can be done overnight by airline maintenance workers, AirCell says.

What makes the service particularly attractive to airlines is that they will share revenue with AirCell. The service will cost about the same as existing WiFi offerings. Mr. Blumenstein says it will charge no more than $10 a day to passengers. It will also offer discounted options for customers and tie into existing service programs like T-Mobile, iPass and Boingo. Speeds will be equivalent to WiFi service on the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB1....html?mod=blogs
Old 05-03-2007, 10:44 PM

How does the possibility exist to provide internet on planes when we're currently given the BS excuse that cellphones interfere with the navigation equipment and must be turned off during flight?
Old 05-03-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does the possibility exist to provide internet on planes when we're currently given the BS excuse that cellphones interfere with the navigation equipment and must be turned off during flight?

[/ QUOTE ]
cell phones depend on signals from third party entities that the airlines can't control. They could build a system in house to bring internet access to the plane and then distribute it within the plane themselves.

I have no idea if that's really the answer, but I have read a few articles suggesting that airlines don't trust cell companies to make their connections comply with the airlines' standards.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they have phones on planes. internet shouldn't be any more difficult.