bluffblank 2 12.50%
Don West 1 6.25%
StephenH 0 0%
Books 2 12.50%
Results, please 5 31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Who\'s being unreasonable. Me or my friends? tl;dr - NO cliff notes

In the first example they should get a ride for themselves to the gym.

but the second one I understand from their part after u are already their ride.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:10 PM

If my friends started acting like that in that situation, I would have said something along the lines of "I go 40 minutes out of my way to take you guys here every day, you can inconvenience yourself just once." On the other hand, who can blame them for pressing you when you clearly cave under a little bit of pressure?
Old 08-12-2007, 04:09 PM

tl;dr need cliff notes plz
Old 08-12-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tl;dr need cliff notes plz

[/ QUOTE ]

-- me & friends go to gym every day for past few weeks and for next month or two at least.

-- they dont drive, and to take the bus would take them 40 mins each, whereas to pick them up takes me an extra 15-20. so, to and back, i spend 35-40mins extra, driving, to save them 80 mins each on the bus, or $5 each way in a cab.

-- usually doing this favour doesnt bother me, but yesterday was very awkward for me to either pick them up or take them back. both times they insisted, first time saying that they would simply not go (we had a 5pm squash game booked, and its bad form to cancel half an hour before the match when there are only 2 courts in the university gym and they're in high demand) so i picked them up. on the way back, one friend in particular was outraged at the notion of having to get the bus back. other friend backed him up.

Basically, I felt they were being ungrateful and taking for granted the favour that I'm doing them on a daily basis.

About the best I can sum it up for ya..
Old 08-12-2007, 04:59 PM

If you're unhappy with the situation, you should so something about it, but ditching your friends at the gym and refusing to pick them up an hour or two before you have a scheduled squash game are both really passive-aggressive and jerky.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:03 PM

your friends suck
i live in the bronx and there is someone who lives near me on my baseball team but to pick me up is 5-10 mins out of his way
When we have games in brooklyn or queens he always picks me up (if he has to leave early or something Im not gonna cry about it since he still saved me a lot of time by picking me up to get there)
If we have a game I can can to in 20-30 mins Im not gonna ask him to pick me up or complain when he doesnt. If he calls and offers it I appreciate it.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Myself and two friends of mine go to the gym almost every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Myself and Will played squash until 6.55pm,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Yourself and DJ can share the bus or get a cab or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you were raised by Russian mobsters, I hope you don't actually use this grammer when you speak aloud.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:46 PM

In the first case, (the afternoon), no one was unreasonable. You told them that you couldn't take them, they said that they couldn't go, and you decided to take them anyway. In the future, you should consider leting them stay home if they don't want to take the bus.

In the second situation, you are being very unreasonable. It is understood that if you give your firends a ride somewhere, that you will also give them a ride home. Unless you can get them to agree in advance that they are on their own to get home, you should consider yourself obligated to give them a ride home if you give them a ride to the gym in the first place.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the first case, (the afternoon), no one was unreasonable. You told them that you couldn't take them, they said that they couldn't go, and you decided to take them anyway. In the future, you should consider leting them stay home if they don't want to take the bus.

In the second situation, you are being very unreasonable. It is understood that if you give your firends a ride somewhere, that you will also give them a ride home. Unless you can get them to agree in advance that they are on their own to get home, you should consider yourself obligated to give them a ride home if you give them a ride to the gym in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-12-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's one thing to cancel something like gym, where I can go anyway, but a squash game is pretty bad considering the courts are in high demand and they would go needlessly unused if I ended up cancelling with such short notice.

Also, the point of the situation isn't so much the specific situation, but rather the context. I go out of my way to take them pretty much every day. If I'm willing to go to that effort regularly to help them out, they should be willing to go to the effort of getting a bus at short notice if it's too awkward on one day in particular.

[ QUOTE ]

Unless you were raised by Russian mobsters, I hope you don't actually use this grammer when you speak aloud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grammar lessons in exchange for spelling lessons FTW?