Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 06:20 AM

Default Re: I don\'t know how to play a pair with a draw

I don't know how to play a pair with a draw

Raise until your allin on the flop. Meh, thats my standard line. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2007, 08:01 AM

Preflop and flop is fine.

On the turn I think a check-behind is mandatory. You have a marginal hand with a good draw - so you are glad to see a cheap showdown (given that you donīt improve on the river). If you have your opponent beaten or he doesnīt have any good draw, he wonīt call your bet anyway. If he instead has you beaten or has a better draw then yours he will call / raise you. So you have nothing to win but much to lose here ...
Old 07-12-2007, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you have nothing to win but much to lose here ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I don't play in too many donkaments these days, and I know that thin value betting is more assigned to cash games, but we can't be so thin here that we can't ever get value.

I suppose a check behind mandates a river call on most bets, regardless of what falls, and that's a better argument for checking behind.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So you have nothing to win but much to lose here ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I don't play in too many donkaments these days, and I know that thin value betting is more assigned to cash games, but we can't be so thin here that we can't ever get value.

I suppose a check behind mandates a river call on most bets, regardless of what falls, and that's a better argument for checking behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without a doubt ... I did not mention this as I assumed this would be clear.

Nevertheless - I canīt imagine so much hands that would make a flop bet into five opponents (from which two are still active) and then call a raise <u>and</u> call a turn-bet - while still being beaten by us (remember that the turncard was no blanc on this board). Surely there are <u>some</u> hands, but not enough (in comparison to the amount of hands that have beaten us) to turn a bet into a value bet.

My reason for not betting the turn is our flush-draw. I donīt want to be scared/bluffed out of the pot here. If we just had the Top-Pair, I would fire another bet on the turn to get a free showdown (which I definitely would take). Here indeed my draw is too valuable for me to give it up against a possible push.

Do you disagree?
Old 07-12-2007, 01:20 PM

i think you should fold turn as well u shut yourself out. cardinal sin. u didn't bet enough on turn to pot committ.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you should fold turn as well u shut yourself out. cardinal sin. u didn't bet enough on turn to pot committ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it a cardinal sin to auto-pot-commit ourselves by betting "enough?" Enough to hang ourselves? I'm not looking for an explanation of bet sizing in relation to the pot. I'm looking for a valid argument for hanging ourselves when any push likely means we are toast.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:38 PM

I would have probably re-rasised the flop here too, my guess is that you are up against something like AT or A8, with the A of spades. If he flopped a set I think he would have liked to have gotten it all in on the flop. So I think that is around 15-20%, AT I think is about 40%, Ax is around 10% a complete bluff is around 10% and trips is around 20%. If I were you I would have taken the free card on the turn to draw to the flush. Yeah your bet does scream weakness, but I think he would have had to hit the flop to have made a bet like that. I would have folded too, plus you don't even know if you are drawing to the nut flush, he could have something like ATs.