Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Ciaffone\'s Middle LHE

I was in a 15-30 game at The Wynn with Jim Brier in 2005, where he continuosly kept firing in to this extremely loose older Asian gentlemen. I was sitting next the Asian gentelmen, who was flashing cards to me (unknowingly) as he would ponder the flop bet. He called about 90% of the flop bets, most w/ air. He then bet the turn about 90% of the time Brier checked to him and Brier would end up folding a large percentage of the time. He could never adjust to the fact that this player was not playing his cards as a "reasonable" player would, and wasn't check raising the turn on him with bigger hands or at least looking him up with mediocre holdings. This is similar to Mason's point that a tough player will give you reason to throw a hand away, a loose player will realize that you will give up on the turn with your middle pairs or intermediate pocket pairs and wait you out to take the pot on the turn.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:52 PM

I have read (and re-read) SSHE (and I was consistently beating the lower limits) and felt like MLHE was the next step as I try to move up from 5/10 to 10/20 live games. If people think MLHE is outdated, what is the general recommendation for what to study next? I've read TOP and ITH a couple of years ago, and several other misc books since such as Lee Jones' book. Should I re-read TOP and ITH? I have HEPFAP, but I haven't read it yet. I seem to grasp material better with good examples and quizzes, but I'll study whatever the best and most relevant material is. I was thinking that Barry Tanenbaum's new book might be the one to read next. I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have read (and re-read) SSHE (and I was consistently beating the lower limits) and felt like MLHE was the next step as I try to move up from 5/10 to 10/20 live games. If people think MLHE is outdated, what is the general recommendation for what to study next? I've read TOP and ITH a couple of years ago, and several other misc books since such as Lee Jones' book. Should I re-read TOP and ITH? I have HEPFAP, but I haven't read it yet. I seem to grasp material better with good examples and quizzes, but I'll study whatever the best and most relevant material is. I was thinking that Barry Tanenbaum's new book might be the one to read next. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

SSH is certainly the best book for live 5/10 and 10/20 live games. Next best is probably Weighing the Odds In Hold'em Poker by King Yao.

Other solid books are HEPFAP, Winning Low Limit Hold'em by Jones, and ITH.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If people think MLHE is outdated, what is the general recommendation for what to study next? I've read TOP and ITH a couple of years ago, and several other misc books since such as Lee Jones' book. Should I re-read TOP and ITH? I have HEPFAP, but I haven't read it yet. I seem to grasp material better with good examples and quizzes, but I'll study whatever the best and most relevant material is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reread all the hand examples in ITH. Then do it again in a couple weeks. The author is always available in his forum to answer any questions you might have.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:57 PM

Thanks for the advice. After I finish my second run through of the problems in MLHE, I'll go back to the books that were suggested.

I'm surprised I haven't heard of King Yao's book before. From what I've read in a couple of threads here and the reviews on Amazon, I'm surprised it doesn't get a lot more mentions. I'll definitely pick this up.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the advice. After I finish my second run through of the problems in MLHE, I'll go back to the books that were suggested.

I'm surprised I haven't heard of King Yao's book before. From what I've read in a couple of threads here and the reviews on Amazon, I'm surprised it doesn't get a lot more mentions. I'll definitely pick this up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that I have never once seen the book in a store...